Skyland Farms - Hector

The fun forum. Discuss anything here.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

http://www.skylandfarm.net/

Shana and I went there for the first time. She had what I have dubbed a "shopgasm" - where she was overwhelmed by the many sparkley things the wanted to buy. Just when I thought she couldn't get any more excited by the various trinkets, she met the cat that hangs out in the store there.

I was impressed with the layout and creativity of the store. There's a lot of good stuff there for gifts, and the owners have it all presented in a way that flatters each individual merchandise. The cafe looked great too (though I'm not sure about the freshness of their gelato- it didn't look all that great).

Needless to say, we ended up buying a few things and Shana would like to go back when we have more time to browse. The Seneca wine trail needs more shops like this if it wants to continue growth. The industry needs distractions from "driving to the next winery" to draw non-regulars in, and have them buy beyond the category of agriculture-based products. This is the perfect example of that.

It's good to see that the owners aren't just selling art, but are artists in the way they present their products. I am both impressed and inspired by the store setup. It's certainly a memorable store.
Brenda
VIP II
VIP II
Camera Model: Canon PowerShot SX20 IS

It's certainly a memorable store.
Isn't it though! I shop there for gifts all the time, because it's only 15 minutes away and you can't find that quality/variety of unique items any closer than Ithaca. Isn't the new room upstairs, off the back of the barn awesome? I will have one of those fountains! :pirate: Have they sold the Zen table yet? I was seriously considering replacing my kitchen table with that, because it's the only place that it would fit in our cabin. :lol:

My only complaint is that they're not open long enough/often enough! The hours and days of operation change throughout the year, and they're closed from Christmas until June(?), so you should definitely check the website before you make a special trip. It's absolutely worth the trip when they're open during extended days/hours before Christmas! I do most of my Christmas shopping there, and I always end up with a few of their ornaments in my Christmas stocking too. They serve warm cider at that time of year, and between the warmth and the smell of the wood stove, the music being played and several furry shopping companions who are always willing to be carried around while you browse :kitty:, you can't help but be swept up in the spirit of the season.
Finger Lakes Mill Creek Cabins
http://www.fingerlakescabins.com
Matt
President
President

I didn't see the Zen table. I did see some things I could use for prizes on this website. I just have to wait for next year's budget.
I love that back room. I saw some metal art I want (and I rarely want art).
I will be returning for Christmas shopping, that's for sure.

is there more than one cat?

Are there any other gift shops in that area?
Brenda
VIP II
VIP II
Camera Model: Canon PowerShot SX20 IS

I've seen different cats at different times, so I'm not sure how many they have, but I'm pretty sure there are several. Did you see the goats?

There's one more gift shop south of there on the same side of 414, but I've not been there. I can't remember the name off hand (Chickadee something?), nor could I find any info about it on the chamber site. You're right that the wine trail needs more places like Skyland.
Finger Lakes Mill Creek Cabins
http://www.fingerlakescabins.com
Matt
President
President

Yeah we drove by that Chickadee place.

We didn't see the goats... it was raining and we were already running late.

To the north there was a farm that sells "homestead" cheese and also gelato. We didn't stop but were wondering about that place.
hit_thetrails
Junior
Junior

Does "Cowlick Farms" sound familiar, Matt? We stopped there on Saturday and I got some gelato. Having never had it before, I thought it was very expensive, but I don't know what the going rate is. It was delicious, though. A "small" was about half a cup $3, and a "large" was maybe 3/4 to 1 cup for $4. He had five flavors: strawberry, peach, chocolate, pistachio and (I think) lemon or vanilla. I had the peach, with some strawberry. Yummy! Poor Chris; I had him pulling into every gift shop I saw. Had I seen Skyland Farms, I may have had my "shopgasm" and have been satisfied. ;)
cbobcat49
Camera Model: Olympus Stylus 400

I did not purchase any gelato. I had a scoop of Julie's. Very interesting. I'd never tried that before.
What lies behind us and what lies ahead of us are tiny matters compared to what lives within us. ~Henry David Thoreau
Matt
President
President

OK, a little of topic, but worth mentioning.
Gelato can be great if it is made right. There's a lot of crappy gelato out there (usually made form mixes)
There is one place in Syracuse, Geddes Gelato that will have you hooked.
http://www.geddesbakery.com/
It's on Rt 11 in North Syracuse.
The stuff is all-natural, smooth as silk, made fresh, a bargain for the size, and served in homemade waffle cones.
If you love fruits of any kind you will love the fruit gelatos they have. These are like sorbets that mimic the perfect taste of their namesake fruit- with a soft, light texture. They are incredible. It beats all ice cream- hands down. I have taken several people there and all have become gelato lovers.
The blackberry, raspberry, mixed berry, apple, orange, and lemon are amazing. I'm glad I don't live near there because I would weigh 400 pounds.
If you are in that area, you have to stop in for a double scoop (with two flavors). Heck, anyone up for a pratt's falls/chittenango falls/gelato trip?
They aren't open all year - probably shutting down at the end of October. They open again just before Christmas so people can pick up gelato for the holidays. I have to get in a few more trips to get my fill and pack my freezer.