Rochester's Public Market

The fun forum. Discuss anything here.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

We went to the Public Market for the first time this past weekend. I thought it was nice. though it seems to have outgrown its space (for both vendors and parking). Shana loved it and she bought a lot of fruits and veggies. I got some baked goods (cinnamon rolls from the Amish - to be specific). Not something I would do weekly, but definitely again.
It's good to see commerce like this in the city limits, but how can this help the city when none of the vendors collect sales tax?

anyways, for people that haven't been, you should give it a try. Here's some info:
http://www.cityofrochester.gov/prhs/pub ... /index.cfm
Kelly
Editor
Editor
Camera Model: Canon EOS 50D, EOS 7D Mi & ii, Rebel t3i, Canon M50

Well you know what they say about great minds....my family also went for the first time this weekend! Loved it. We were on a tight schedule or we would have spent much longer than the hour we did. We were able to find a close parking spot when another customer left - right in the thick of things. I didn't have any idea how extensive the market was.....it was amazing.

I found myself thinking how cool a book of photos just from the Public Market would be. A real slice of Rochester life.....

Matt, did you guys see the pig heads? :yum:

Your sales tax question is interesting, but remember that fresh produce and most grocery items aren't subject to sales tax. I suppose the city makes money off the vendors' payment for space, but I don't know for sure.

I can't wait to go back.......!
I am strong, because I've been weak.
I am fearless, because I've been afraid.
I am wise, because I've been foolish.

- Unknown

My NYFalls.com Team Page
Scenes from a Public Market
New York Historic
Matt
President
President

No I didn't see the pig heads.
the fish grossed my dad and Shana out.
I wasn't too bothered by it... I just felt sorry for the baker who had a spot next to them!

We went looking for a Gluten Free baker, but it just so happened that there weren't there that day. Go figure!

I did have the "voted #1 breakfast sandwich" from Scott's Gill 2 and it was pretty damn good! Took forever, but worth it.

So now the suburbs are trying to start up their own public markets. their benefit is that they are doing them in the parking lots of plazas and malls- which I can see helping those businesses.

With the Rochester Public market, I can see this helping with income of the vendors (and hopefully with income tax), but I dought these farmers are from the City.
Matt
President
President

The Friends of the Rochester Public Market blog:
http://rocpublicmart.blogspot.com/
Michaelino
Junior
Junior

I'm always a little surprised to find area adults who are just discovering an historic institution like the Rochester Public Market. In the same manner, I guess when I find someone who lives in the city who has never seen high falls. (That one used to be much more common before the development efforts of the 1990s) I have been going to the market all my life which includes those parts of my first twenty five years spent growing up in Bristol. It has been "reborn" a couple of times over the last thirty years, but Saturday morning now is pretty how it has been for the last twenty years or so. Each time of day has it's own fans, the pickiest customers looking for the freshest, earliest or limited quantity of exotic produce are there at dawn. The bargain hunters often shop only late in the day. Each day of the week has its own flavor and marking the seasonal changes at the market is one of the joys of the urban experience. For me such moments as arrival of the first yukon gold salt potatoes, "ginger golds" apples, the return of the garlic man, those upcoming weekends where you can stock up on the best quality Delicata or Amber cup squash, the first appearance of live plants in the spring, etc...are as embedded in our household culture as any other shopping tradition. Before I had room to plant my own seed, I have planted upwards of 14 different types of basil from market stock, five kinds of sage. five of oregano, and many of the other herbs that dot my garden. When the somewhat elusive "Tuscan Blue" rosemary appears, buy it. Each fish vendor has its specialities, the bulk spice merchants as well. And it is important to understand who is selling produce that they grew themselves and who is selling leftover wholesale stock. By the way. one way to mark the return of college life around here has always been the appearance on fall market days of RIT students out on assignment. Also, the market has quite a few special events, Sunday flea markets, Concerts, and the spring time "Flower City Days" on Sunday where the collective wares of area grower surpasses any suburban garden center for sure. Some vendors, like Great Lakes Hostas, only sell direct or at the market during these special Sundays.

I have been to the famous open air markets of Lancaster, PA, New Orleans, Boston, Baltimore, Ottawa and half a dozen great cities of Europe. Rochester's version stands up to any of them.

Ok, Scott's does have a great breakfast sandwich. Maybe the best. The Empanada stop is also cool, especially if you make use of their salsa verde. But what may be number one sandwich sold in Rochester (via Brooklyn) is the patrami on rye available 11AM-1PM in the store with a series of vendors right next to Boulder coffee. As you walk in on the left, there is a vendor specializing in free-range chicken and game, (Need a goose for christmas? Order in advance) No other pastrami in the area compares, it is a smaller portion of what you might find at Katz or the Carnegie in NYC, and of course, "like buttah". Finally he taco vendor in the same store has some of the most authentic Mexican food in the area as well.
Matt
President
President

Good info, thanks!

The only thing keeping me from going there on a regular basis is the parking.

I do want to check out the Flea Market next door- is that any good?
Michaelino
Junior
Junior

Parking IS a trip, but there is a way to make it a little less of a problem, if you haven't tried it. Instead of using Railroad or Union to get there, I now take Scio coming out of downtown to Central Park (Scio ends there) make a right and then loop back on Union. Then I turn left at Pennsylvania and park either in the lot there on the corner of Union or on the street. There is an entrance about 1/4 block on Pennsylvania. Except at the absolute peak times, this usually gets me in and out and all the while avoiding the major bottle-necks. Driving out is easier too, taking Pennsylvania to Goodman (and then a right). And on Flower City Days, this works like charm as the crowds aren't as heavy. The flea markets nearby are OK. there are now several second hand shops on Railroad. But the Sunday Garage Sale Days at the Market (see under special events) is probably better. Also, as winter sets in, especially as Christmas approaches, the market takes on more of a flea market flavor on Saturdays.

Sometimes during the holiday times on Saturday, there are people selling fresh roasted chestnuts outside one of the store fronts. Coming across that on cold day really gets me in the holiday mood.
Matt
President
President

excellent, thank you. I'll make sure Shana reads this too.