How to post images

Display your photos or the photos of others here. This is also where you'll find the Monthly Photo Challenge.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

There are multiple ways to post images. You can link them in through an external host (like Flickr) or you can attach them to your post.
Read further to learn how to use Flickr. Read the following post to learn about attaching an image to your post.

Step 1 - Open a Flickr account
Go to http://www.flickr.com and create a FREE account. It's a free image sharing website owned by yahoo.

Step 2 - Log in and upload your pictures
Browse to the photos you want to upload (one at a time)
Add a tag (a label or a key word.)
Make sure it's set to public
Hit upload
You can then give it Name and Description

Flickr officially supports JPEGs, non-animated GIFs and PNGs.
As you publish photos they are compressed and re-sized by Flickr (if necessary) in the following sizes:
75x75 pixels
120 pixels (on the longest side)
240 pixels
500 pixels
Large (1024 pixels)
And the original size (if you hold a pro account)

To protect people from downloading your photos: Go to Your Account page, then click on Allowing Downloads.
You can set the download privileges to any of these settings:

Only You
Your Friends and/or Family
Your Contacts
Any Flickr User
Anyone (Default)

Step 3 – Get the links to your image
In Flickr, browse your pictures and choose the one you would like to link to.
Just above the photo, should be a button for Share this
Click it and then click Grab the HTML/BBCode
Near the bottom, make sure to click the BBCode box.
Select a size (both medium [500 width or 640 width] are best)
Select and Copy (Ctrl+C) the resulting code int he box.

Step 4 – Add the image to the forum post
Reply to an existing topic, or create a new one.
Paste in the code you copied from Flickr.

You can type additional content on the next lines, or past in more Flickr codes for other images.

Press Submit to post.

There are many other options in Flickr, that allow you to add notes, comments, albums and slideshows. check out all the options when you have time.
Last edited by Matt on Sat Oct 20, 2007 8:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Matt
President
President

You can now attach images to your posts. When posting, scroll down to see Upload Attachment tab. Click it and then click Browse...to find the image file on your hard drive. The image you are attaching must be 350kb or less or the system won't take it. After you find the file you can type a small comment or description in the field below. When ready to upload click Add the file. The file will then upload. You can then finish composing your post and submit it, People will be able to see that a file is attached to your post and they can click it to view it.

If you would like to place the image within the text of your post so people can see it without having to click, then before submitting, place your cursor in your text where you would like the image to show up, and hit the Place inline button. It will put a set of tags in the text that tells the system to put your image here. Click preview to see if it worked.... Click submit to finish.
Attachments
tree.jpg
Matt
President
President

We can now attach images directly to posts.... read above to find out how. Post here if you have any questions.
cbobcat49
Camera Model: Olympus Stylus 400

Where is the Place Inline button?
What lies behind us and what lies ahead of us are tiny matters compared to what lives within us. ~Henry David Thoreau
Matt
President
President

once you browse and hit add the file
it should show up at the bottom where those buttons where.
skiboarder72
Guide
Guide
Camera Model: Nikon D300, Nikon D50, 18-200mm VR, 11-16mm f2.8, 50mm f1.8, 85mm f1.8, SB-600

gorgous rhino shot matt

I use imageshack for all my hosting needs... 1200+ pictures and it still hasnt let me down
HaloGirl
Veteran Board Expert
Veteran Board Expert
Camera Model: Canon PowerShot SX10 IS & Applie iPhone

I noticed when I uploaded photos to the September Photo Challenge, that I could only add three photos to a post. Why is that?

I also noticed that my photos have a border around them and many of the photos posted on this site don't (and they have more than three photos in a post). Is this because they're linking to an outside source, such as Flicker?

What are the pros and cons of importing directly (like I did) and linking to an outside source?
Matt
President
President

Yeah, linking to an external source will allow you to do pretty much anything you want: size, dimensions, no boarder.
Uploading to this site will allow you to add three images less than 256kb in size... and if the image dimensions are over 300 pixels on any side, it will put a clickable thumbnail in. Thumbnails will have borders.
I prefer using an external source, because it's a lot prettier, but sometimes I'm running low on time and just upload through the board.