Matt in China 2012 - Chengdu

Share and discuss your travelling experiences and pics from around the world. Photo journals encouraged.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

After my week up in the mountains, I just relaxed and hung out in Chengdu, my comfort city.
I was on my own for the better part of the time there. Sleeping in, walking the streets, eating a lot of food, tasting some Chinese red wine (couldn't find whites).

Waiting for my ride from the airport

Great Wall Wine... not bad. pretty expensive though.

Not sure what this is called, but it was cheep and highly recommended by the corner store guy who didn't speak English. Cost: 50 cents.

A shot from inside a pretty elaborate karaoke bar across from my hotel. The Chinese take kareoke seriously.

Walking the streets at night.

Heading down a very old part of town to visit the Fuqing Open Air Market.

See more pics from the market here: http://scenesfromapublicmarket.com/#2514

It's a constant challenge not getting hit by a car in China.

I visited a famous antique and art market. It was rows upon rows of small booths, and several building of stalls, all stuffed with "antiques" or really good knockoffs. The most common items were old coins, old bills, pottery and stone carvings. The main building has a floor dedicated to painters. Each had their own room, cramped and stuffed with original art in the traditional style. Many were painting away in a corner. It was astounding. (I did not photograph their original art).

I didn't take too many photos here because there weren't many customers as distractions and all the vendors, mostly old men, were watching me like hawks.

vases... taller than me

The bridge along the river at the market has some amazing old carvings.
Matt
President
President

I visited the Museum of Sichuan and I wish I had more time there. They did a wonderful job of highlighting the minority cultures in Sichuan province, their costumes, art, pottery, and tools. Religion was covered more in the sense of showing Buddhist statues and describing the deities' name and role. Tibetan Buddhism has so many deities that they had walls dedicated to their statues.

Mostly everything had well-written English Translations. It was a real pleasure to explore this museum.

The history of Chengdu, and Sichuan as a hole was covered, and the modern history was covered is all its black, white, and red glory.

Courtyard outside of the museum, looking towards the antique market.

Matt
President
President

Out for a stole one day, came upon an art class in session

Near Jing's apartment, this businessman claims to do it all: bike repair, locksmith, welding, mechanical work...

This guy sells water.

Took a stroll through Sichuan University (Est 1896) which is the top school in Chengdu, and 8th in China. It has 70,000 students.

No running water in the dorms, so students bring their jugs to fill up just before dusk.

Campus handyman will fix bikes and make keys.
Kelly
Editor
Editor
Camera Model: Canon EOS 50D, EOS 7D Mi & ii, Rebel t3i, Canon M50

really really like the art class series, and the colorful water jugs - and the handy man. All very interesting!!
I am strong, because I've been weak.
I am fearless, because I've been afraid.
I am wise, because I've been foolish.

- Unknown

My NYFalls.com Team Page
Scenes from a Public Market
New York Historic
Brenda
VIP II
VIP II
Camera Model: Canon PowerShot SX20 IS

I agree. The vases are beautiful too!
Finger Lakes Mill Creek Cabins
http://www.fingerlakescabins.com