In The Subways of New York

Share and discuss your travelling experiences and pics from around the world. Photo journals encouraged.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

Mikell
Board Expert
Board Expert

It's probably obvious that I like taking pictures of people...I find them fascinating and intriguing....I always wonder what their story is.
New York is full of people...and nowhere better than the subway to find them and capture them.
I could have spent hours and hours underground taking pictures. Here are a few I managed to shoot (some surreptitiously):

Mikell
Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

I love these! :up: :up: :up: :up: :up:
George
Senior Guide
Senior Guide
Camera Model: Nikon D300, Calumet 4x5

Beautiful stuff Mikell. Love the light - what light setting did you use?
Mikell
Board Expert
Board Expert

Thanks Matt and George. For most of these candid shots, I was taking them with the camera sitting on my lap and just aiming ...or often taking quick shots on the fly....so I always used AUTO mode which gave me an ISO of 600 to 800 at f/3.5 (checking the exif data) in the subway light. It was just easier to keep it on AUTO and then do a little magic in Photoshop with the exposure, contrast, details and such later. I use Topaz Adjust for a lot of my photos and like the results I get.
Mikell
JPaige
Senior Guide
Senior Guide

Great shots! You could shoot down there every day and it wouldn't get old. So many people, so many stories.
Mikell
Board Expert
Board Expert

You got that right Joel...I would love to do that.
There's a guy who has a Facebook page - Humans of New York - Kelly turned me onto to it...check it out.
He takes pictures of people in the streets...all over New York...every day ...and posts them with a bit of a story about them sometimes...something they said to him often.
They are great photos ...like you said...so many people and so many stories.
NYC is the best place for people watching anywhere, I think.
Mikell
hobkyl
Camera Model: Pentax K30

Great work Mikell! Amazing to look at your pics, and think about all those people and how their everyday life has been affected by Sandy.
Last edited by hobkyl on Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“There’s an inconsequentiality to our lives that living in the wilderness shows up. Mountain are real, they set their limits, they set ours. They expose us, make us vulnerable and strong at the same time. “
--Alison Wat

Flickr Facebook
Mikell
Board Expert
Board Expert

Thanks Kyle. It was the first time I had spent time in NYC...so now when I see the storm aftermath....I can relate a little better and have an idea about all the places I see on the news. It's just weird to me that I was just there before Sandy and life seemed so normal just two weeks ago. You never know what the future holds.
Mikell