Matt in China - 2012 - Lijiang

Share and discuss your travelling experiences and pics from around the world. Photo journals encouraged.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

I had originally flew into Lijiang, but immediately took a bus to Shangri-La and didn't get to see much.
I didn't get much of a chance to see Lijiang until the evening I returned.

Surrounded by granite mountains, deep gorges, and red clay hills, Lijiang lies within a 8,000 ft high level plain crossroads of established trade routes and minority cultures. The developed city of 1.2 million is superficially similar to other small "rural" Chinese cities. There is a an open and "country" feel to Lijiang as the city center is not overshadowed by the large skyscrapers of the much larger cities. Every bit of land up and onto the mountains is either cultivated or grazed by livestock. Taxis run constantly; Bars and shops are open late into the night; the internet and cell phones are everywhere. Its still a modern city at its center. What makes it so unique is that because of it's location at the center of overlapping cultural zones. Lijiang, although predominantly a NaXi ethnic minority village, over 20 ethnic groups call the Lijiang Prefecture their home. Of these are the Han Chinese, Tibetans, Yi, Lisu, Hmong, Hui (Chinese Muslims), and others. The region is culturally rich beyond imagination and one of the few places in the world where one can eat at a different style restaurant each night for months.

Within the Yunnan-Guizhou range of the Tibetan Plateau, and just below the majestic 18,360 ft high Jade Dragon Snow Mountain, the city is surrounded by countless natural attractions. Gorges as deep as the Grand Canyon, some of the most dangerous rapids in the world, spring-fed lakes, panoramic views of river bends, pristine wetlands, glaciers, Image, and mountain ranges.

Lijiang itself has a network of ancient canals, and a unique architectural style. The Lijiang Old Town, a UNESCO World Heritage Site, is a well-preserved mix of architecture, art, and engineering of several cultures and 1000 years. Further from the Old Town Jade Water Village demonstrates more rural Naxi culture and aquatic engineering with its central dam. On the fringe of the mountains, BaoShan Stone Town, which sits atop of a mushroom-shaped rock outcropping, lives roughly 100 families of stone craftsman. Here nearly everything is carved out of stone: from the homes, to the beds, to the eating utensils.

There is so much to do and see in the land surrounding Lijiang, I barely got to see any of it. Which is why I seriously considering going back. Not only to photograph the amazing sights I didn't see, but to learn more about the cultures I only got a taste of my first time around.

This is the City of Lijiang
[gmap=11]26.87677,100.23038[/gmap]

This is the Old Town (yeah--- it's that big)
[gmap=15]26.87381,100.23636[/gmap]
Those are all alleys--not drive-able roads

This is my hotel complex at the southern edge of the old town. I can't imagine what was torn down to build this gated Crowne Plaza Resort, but I can say that the design is very faithful to the surroundings.
[gmap=18]26.86979,100.23641[/gmap]

This was my first sight of the Old Town
That ditch to the left is one of the micro-canals, more like a storm-drain system now.

The slippery cobblestone alleys have no rhyme or reason to them. They are random... some following the canals, some leading to and away from important buildings. This town came long before cars, and urban planning wasn't all they great back then. The alleys are narrow. They twist and turn, into light and dark. Names? Haha... at least not marked with any signs. Luckily every single nook in this place has character. Nothing looks the same. After a day or two, navigation becomes easier. If not, any old lady will sell you a bilingual map (for 10x the price you'll find it in the convenience mart).

Although the old buildings have since lost their purpose, have been gutted and mostly reworked into modern shops, restaurants, and inns, the structures remain intact and the unique Naxi architectural style honored. What was once organized streets and districts representing a financial and trade powerhouse of the Silk Road are now a mess of business catering to tourism. Many landmarks have been well-preserved. Some home and office interiors have been as well-- some still in use as they were 800 years ago. For the most part Lijiang is a tourist attraction because it is a tourist attraction. Retailers and tour guides dominate the trades of the town, in stark contrast to how village life was only 20 years ago. Although the Naxi and other minorities have benefited greatly from the industry that brings hundreds of thousands here each year, every spot in the Old Town and for blocks further surrounding it has been swept up by outsiders who have moved in to profit. The Tourist Industry is not just highly competitive here, it's comfortable taking advantage of anyone. Drivers, guides, and shop-keeps all have their little rackets going. If you aren't careful, you could put a taxi driver's kids through school for just a 30 minute ride to a popular attraction. Based on my feeling, and from what I gathered from other tourists I have spoken with, this is a huge detraction from the experience. The government needs to step up and stop the gouging before too many people leave with a bitter taste of Lijiang.

The government has done a nice job of preserving and labeling important landmarks. Who would have known a strip of cafes and inns once used to be this town's "Wall Street"? Want to drink beer within one of the world's first modern bank, now a cafe/bar? This is mostly how celebrating history is done in Lijiang. Try to push the booming tourist industry aside and focus in on the village that contains it.
Matt
President
President

The Crowne Plaza upgraded me to a wonderful room (a few pics before I destroyed it):

The view from the window above my bed.

The hotel exterior is styled like the Old Town, with Naxi architecture and small canals.
Matt
President
President

Hungry, I head out to the Old Town for a late dinner with Jing.
The panels that line the alleys are used to close up the storefronts for the night.

Although there are places to eat all over, the best place we found near our hotels was along one of the 3 main canals... and right across from a strip of street food vendors. Our meal comprised of pork noodles and samples of street food.

After dinner we walk the streets for a bit and I get a taste of the Old Town.... shops... hundreds of shops. Many selling crafts, jewelry, fabrics, treats, meats, and more. At first glance... many things look mass-produced... tourist souvenirs... primarily based on the quantities I saw. Later on in the trip I would observe many of these popular items being hand made in the shops by the keep in their downtime. Jewelers would hammer silver, textile shops would work the weave, candy makers would be hammering nuts and sugar, misc shops would be threading beads and cutting and tying leather straps. A lot of stock was being replenished as needed, in quantity, but hand-made. The overwhelming variety of items sold were unique crafts. Beyond that, I would say jerky (mostly Yak and Pork) was next plentiful.

The streets are the result of a thousands years of mixed cultures and ideas coming together to create shops alongside of each other and build commerce.

Every open spot is turned into a business. This small hallway in a side alley not only sells some snacks (starting with pancakes and boiled potatoes) but houses panel doors for a nearby shop.

This shop specializes in hand-made bells. Originally milled for yaks, these bells now come in a variety of shapes, sized, colors, and with or without artwork etched or painted on. They are used to decorate homes and businesses. Some shops sell them small enough for a dog or cat collar.
They are heavy and the good ones are milled, not cast. They are also expensive.

Some shops are packed solid with merchandise.

Despite many things being illuminated, the lighting at night in the Old Town is still very dim. Photography is tough. Jin and I are both shooting handheld. She is overexposing her low-res JPG shots, which look great for portraits. She is using a f/1.8 lens and can maintain a decent shutter speed. I'm shooting underexposed JPG files with a moderately fast zoom. I'm pretty good at keeping things still for 1/10 second to get the night scenes sharp.

A noodle restaurant near my hotel.

We somehow find ourselves on the northern end of the town, opposite of the hotel, and near the Great Waterwheel. The wheel was built after a massive earthquake in 1996 that destroyed a significant portion of the city. Before this quake, Lijiang was little known in China, and almost unheard of throughout the rest of the world. It was rescue and rebuilding efforts and a push to rebuild the economy that brought it to the spotlight. This wheel is a symbol of that recovery.

Nearly 100 shops, bars, and everyday homes on on the hillside near waterwheel are illuminated in gold. It is an amazing sight.
Matt
President
President

A scene along one of the larger canals. Bridges of all shapes and sizes are all over the place in the Old Town. It's not uncommon to have to cross a 50-year-old or more wooden plank to get into a restaurant.

Chefs take a break.

This restaurant specializes in Mushrooms. At elevations like these, mushrooms are an important part of cuisine. They are easy to cultivate at high elevations, and they dry without preservatives and can last for several months.

A couple businesses will make a custom CD for you. Anything from Pop-music to the distinct Naxi orchestral style of music.

A hotel with tree growing in the middle of the entrance.

One of the smaller canals. This one was quite dirty and has a stink to it. People here just toss whatever into it. Although I think generally bulk trash is kept out of the canals, food scraps and pee certainly make their way in regularly.

Very traditional inn
Matt
President
President

First full day in Lijiang...

Tea in the hotel

I don't recall what this is... It's the design above the doorway of a restaurant, I think.

I head to the Open Air Market for breakfast (Fresh-made pork dumplings)

My first experience with the "Open Air Market" in Lijiang was frustrating. I couldn't find my hotel, and I wandered into the opening of an alley from which market vendors expanded out from the market tables and into the sidewalk. I couldn't navigate and most of the vendors didn't know where the hotel was. Turns out it was right next door to the market. I didn't know at the time, but what I saw was just a sliver of this massive market.

In the morning I headed there for breakfast and to take some photos. My first impressions of the market were startling and traumatic. I had entered on the wrong side... the fresh meats side. I'll get into that later. The market is basically divided into 3 sections: Meats, Vegetables, Fruits... with some small outcroppings of eggs, mushrooms, noodles, tofu, spices, pickles, and some plastic goods. There were rows upon rows of ancient wood tables stacked high with consumables, soaked with water from spray hoses and tinted by the color of the sun through colored plastic umbrellas. Scooters and tiny red trucked honked their high-pitched horns to let shoppers know that nothing was going to stop them from delivering their piled-high goods. The floor, littered with with craps of plastic, green leaves, and the stray round fruit, were constantly being grazed by old ladies with brooms and trash bags. Here your garbage is the the floor. There are no trash bins in sight. Half the vendors were busy setting up or grooming their veggies, while others, particularly the prepared goods vendors, such as tofu and noodles, were barely awake. The place was buzzing everywhere. From the food vendors in the makeshift dining area (right next to the fresh meat butchering) to those selling good from their backpack in a side alley, everyone was talking loud and everyone was pushing their goods.

The market is huge... I spent hours there and still didn't get a chance to see all of it.
You can see in the satellite imagery all the cart vendor umbrellas in the alleys in-between the market structures.

[gmap=18]26.87037,100.23452[/gmap]

My dumplings being cooked...

In the back of the "food court" chefs prepare the vegetables for the day.

Many dishes take a dozen or so spices to be complete. A chef will often take a scoop from each spice to top off a bowl of soup.

The variety of produce here was astounding. There were fruits and veggies with shapes and colors I have never seen before... everything was fresh and very colorful.

Pickled eggs, anyone?
Matt
President
President

Lychee

Sichuan chilies are popular in Yunnan too.

This boy, wearing his school uniform, gets in some studying at his mother's market stall before school starts.

Basket backpacks were extremely well-crafted onside by a series of vendors and used by many consumers. Cost: $25.

Fresh spices! Bring your own container, or the vendor just dumps spoonfuls into a plastic bag.

Pickled veggies, beans, and tubers

Pickled tubers

I have no idea what this is... but it looks spicy

Bittermelon

Tofu (Fresh and fried)

Matt
President
President

Considered one of the most disgusting foods in the world, these pickled eggs are preserved in a salty soil. They are sold everywhere. I believe I had one during a business meeting and also in KFC breakfast porridge.

Perfect backdrop for a portrait (not pictures - 30 minute photo session with Jing)

As Jing snapped the above picture I noticed a puppy sleeping below the table across the alley.

Fresh tofu...

Fried tofu

Construction - that man is doing some pretty intricate stonework.

These old motorized carts buzzed and honked everywhere. They barely fit the aisles of the market and would often get stuck.

Clotted blood for sale

Kelly
Editor
Editor
Camera Model: Canon EOS 50D, EOS 7D Mi & ii, Rebel t3i, Canon M50

Outstanding market photos. Love them all. Such a mood and authenticity of place comes out of each. Really fantastic!
I am strong, because I've been weak.
I am fearless, because I've been afraid.
I am wise, because I've been foolish.

- Unknown

My NYFalls.com Team Page
Scenes from a Public Market
New York Historic