Food of China (2012)

Share and discuss your travelling experiences and pics from around the world. Photo journals encouraged.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

Before I forget the details about everything I ate on my trip, I'll post my log as quickly as I can.

Starting with my in-flight food from Chicago to Shanghai.
I had the pleasure of flying first class.
Everyone knows airline food sucks. It is usually reheated mush meals and sterilized side dished designed to both appease all pallets and keep people from running to the restroom.
The decreased cabin pressure affects our taste physiology. Less pressure means there is less osmotic force pushing ions through our taste buds. The result: things taste bland.
So food is typically pumped with excessive salt to compensate. Major airlines have hired skilled chefs to come up with ways of using natural flavorings in place of salts. They also design the first class meals so the in-flight staff can reheat and combine ingredients so the meals taste as good as they would on the ground.

Before takeoff, a mimosa, just because I can.

Grilled Chicken-Caesar salad (not bad... chicken a bit spicy). Glass of a California Riesling.

Mango Mojo Pork Tenderloin, rice and asparagus (very good)

Fresh raspberry sundae (really good), and Icewine (way too sweet).
Matt
President
President

I arrive in the city of Guangzhou, formerly Canton, and the origin of what we call Cantonese cuisine. It's mild, flavored with salt, soy, and sesame. In fact, it's really what the majority of west Chinese food is based on.

I go out for late night Dim Sum.

Glutenous rice wraps, filled with beef, smothered in salty soy sauce. (Chang Fen)

Some sweet and gelatinous balls of who-knows-what (I'm guessing rice). Suck them off the wrapper and be prepared to not be able to talk for a good couple of minutes as you try to swallow these sticky messes. There's a cream filling inside. They taste great but are difficult to eat.

Tapioca balls in coconut milk

Steamed pork ribs with black bean sauce

Crispy fried pork spring rolls. :P
Matt
President
President

A few business meetings allowed me to sample more dim sum. It was all very familiar, but different. I didn't take many photos... busy working.

Guangzhou has a great mix of ethnicities. Any type of food can be found in this city. I stop by an Aussie cafe for a latte and a chicken sandwich. Delicious.
Had lunch in a nice Aussie cafe.

Several of the places i ate at were just way too dark for photography, so the pics didn't come out.
Matt
President
President

A night in Chengdu, Sichuan before I head into the mountains of Yunnan. Time for comfort food.... Sichuan style. It's spicy and the flavoris significantly more powerful and varied than Cantonese food.

One of my favorites: Corn-fried Corn. It's sweet corn, coated in a mix of a salted duck egg and corn starch, and then fried in oil.
Crunchy, salty, and sweet. I have said this before... this would be a huge hit in the USA.

Spicy fried pork back and greens. Amazing.

Some coke
Matt
President
President

A traditional Chengdu breakfast in my hotel

Watery rice porridge. It serves the same purpose as a rice bowl does for any other meal.

Delicious pork-filled dumplings.

What we have here is (clockwise from top-right) fried rice; spicy sausages; pickled veggies; fried lotus root, grilled peanuts.
Grab with chopsticks, dip into porridge, consume.
Matt
President
President

I arrive in Lijiang in the mountains. It's a blend of cultures here...and the food's origins are mixed. I really couldn't keep track.

A quick meal before catching a bus to up further in the mountains to Shangrila. I unpack my SLR so the quality of pics is a touch better from now on. Click for more detail to each pic.

I stop in a family-run joint right next tot he bus station. I always feel guilty in these places.... it seems I always show up to eat when the family is sitting down to eat. Un-phased, they get up and within 5 minutes, whip up a meal. Then they go back to the family table and finish eating.

One of my favorites of the trip: Hash browns - Tibetan style. Julian potatoes fried in yak butter.

Sauteed shredded pork with green pepper

tea with every meal
Kelly
Editor
Editor
Camera Model: Canon EOS 50D, EOS 7D Mi & ii, Rebel t3i, Canon M50

Incredible. So cool!
But honestly?
Had lunch in a nice Ass
:rubeyes:
I am strong, because I've been weak.
I am fearless, because I've been afraid.
I am wise, because I've been foolish.

- Unknown

My NYFalls.com Team Page
Scenes from a Public Market
New York Historic
Matt
President
President

Arrived at Shangrila in the evening,
Tibetan cuisine at a small restaurant near the hotel. Tibetan pop music playing in the background the service staff randomly burst out into song throughout the meal. The food is outstanding.

Toothpick Yak. Small strips of lean yak meat coated in a tongue-numbingly-spicy dry rub.

Spicy Yak meat... very spicy... very lean... it's similar to beef.

Yak cheese balls, deep fried in yak butter, with yak yogurt for dippin'.... delicious!