Matt in China 2011 - Week 3

Share and discuss your travelling experiences and pics from around the world. Photo journals encouraged.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

Joni and I are back in the City of Chengdu... and our appetites are back. We meet up with Jing every night to sample Sichuan Cuisine (more on this in the Food thread). Saving on cash, we start taking advantage of the new Chengdu subway, which finished construction last fall. Just one line, it luckily stretches from my hotel to Jing's computer shop, to some nice neighborhoods with good eateries.

Communist countries put a lot of grandeur into their public transportation projects it subways have always been a showcase for "government for the people produces results for the people." Many cities throughout Russia have subway systems far superior (in looks at least) than to the cities that house them.
The Chengdu subway is clean, simplified, with plenty of digital screens, bright lights, and high security (if you consider teenagers with x-ray machines and metal detectors to be high security). Bags go through the x-ray just like any airport, and people walk through the metal detector. My camera set off the detector every time. No one cared. I guess I don't fit the profile.

During the day, I would hang out in Jing's shop in the computer market with my new friends Chow and Hong

It's a small shop in a 6 story market. They only have 7 models of Thinkpad, and they compete with 1 other Thinkpad retailer in the building, and three across the street. Because there are so many people in China, they can sell in such large quantities, that Jing can actually make a nice living out of it. She is expanding to a larger shop this year.

The view from the shop

Walking down the street one day, I see this and had to check it out.

Californian wine. Actually this is 7-11 brand wine we also have in the USA for $4/bottle. Priced at just under $11 here.

Bought a Rochester-originating product!
Matt
President
President

With Jing working, Joni and I set out to explore the old neighborhood of Chengdu.
Half of the property is shopping and food. The other half is a museum and garden. Joni was all for the museum part. Excellent. The place name is Wen shu yuan.

Inside the old complex there are plenty of temples to pray at.

Joni starts posing for glamour shots. Apparently, girls like to lean up against walls and things for their fancy pictures. As I'm photographing one things, she calls to me to take her photo. She's leaning, almost rolling up against a black wall. I just laugh... These ancient Chinese buildings didn't use black paint, they used a mixture of charcoal carbon and pigments. Her left side was covered from top to bottom in black powder. So... had to borrow a hose from one of the gardeners so she could clean up. :lol:

Dozens of buildings spread throughout the gardens here.

ApproachingLight
Board Expert
Board Expert

beautiful. the annotations add so much! thnx
Kelly
Editor
Editor
Camera Model: Canon EOS 50D, EOS 7D Mi & ii, Rebel t3i, Canon M50

TRICKY! :up:
I am strong, because I've been weak.
I am fearless, because I've been afraid.
I am wise, because I've been foolish.

- Unknown

My NYFalls.com Team Page
Scenes from a Public Market
New York Historic
hobkyl
Camera Model: Pentax K30

Great photos again!

However, I have to ask...what is that thing coming out from the bottom side of the panda statue?
“There’s an inconsequentiality to our lives that living in the wilderness shows up. Mountain are real, they set their limits, they set ours. They expose us, make us vulnerable and strong at the same time. “
--Alison Wat

Flickr Facebook
Kelly
Editor
Editor

:lol: I wondered the same thing, and decided it HAD to be a tail. ;) 8)

- Unknown

My NYFalls.com Team Page
New York Historic
Kelly
Editor
Editor

Stunning as always. Beautiful shots. I especially think it's cool to see candid shots of real people going about their everyday lives. Here, I call it a slice of American life, when I travel around - and there, well, a slice of Chinese life I guess. It's all good. Really fun to see!

- Unknown

My NYFalls.com Team Page
New York Historic
Matt
President
President

Pandas don't have tails that big