Matt in China 2011 - Week 3

Share and discuss your travelling experiences and pics from around the world. Photo journals encouraged.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

In the evening we head to Yuyuan Garden, a famous classical Chinese garden, but at night, a wild shopping district, filled with people from all over.
The Garden dates back to 1577 in the Ming Dynasty, when Pen Yunduan built it as a retirement home for his aging parents.

I didn't get to see much of the garden (it was night), so I did some shopping and eating in the surrounding buildings.
It was impossible to get accosted by vendors selling knock off watches, bags, and jewelry. "Rolex... Rolex... Prada... Rolex..." as the vendors try to stuff a brochure in my hand. Police scold them as they get really aggressive towards tourists.

hobkyl
Camera Model: Pentax K30

I really admire the architecture there. The 3rd photo is :up:

Are you finished up with this trip?
“There’s an inconsequentiality to our lives that living in the wilderness shows up. Mountain are real, they set their limits, they set ours. They expose us, make us vulnerable and strong at the same time. “
--Alison Wat

Flickr Facebook
Matt
President
President

Thanks!... no... I think I have more from that "garden" ... and maybe a few more, but I didn't get a chance to finish before I left for my current trip. I have a ton more pics now, of two more regions, both considered some of the most beautiful places on earth, but I didn't get to them during the best seasons. I still tried to make the best of it and i really still could not keep up with the photographic opportunities. Not many architecture this time around though. I'm focusing more on light and people this time around, which I think I was lacking the first time. Still photograph doorways whenever I get the chance.
Matt
President
President

Last few photos from the garden village

And that was it.
hobkyl
Camera Model: Pentax K30

Very nice! Now bring on 2012!

They sure do use a lot of electricity for aesthetics.
“There’s an inconsequentiality to our lives that living in the wilderness shows up. Mountain are real, they set their limits, they set ours. They expose us, make us vulnerable and strong at the same time. “
--Alison Wat

Flickr Facebook
Matt
President
President

yeah... I was wondering how powerful their grid is. These old town streets are pretty well-decorated with lights, but i can see why... tourists flood these areas. But it isn't just the old-towns, pretty much anything along an urban highways is dramatically decorated with lights. A large stretch of road and a huge bridge in chengdu is lit up in a long stream of rainbow lights. It's looks really tacky... and almost like Rainbow Road from the Mario Bros universe.