Cedar Point

Share and discuss your travelling experiences and pics from around the world. Photo journals encouraged.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

I carried my pocket camera around one day at Cedar Point. Here's some of the photos I came away with.

this is part of the Gemini
The Gemini roller coaster at Cedar Point gives riders an opportunity for bragging rights to the fastest train, as not one, but two trains run simultaneously on parallel tracks and race for a first-place finish. Guests cheer on either the red or blue train down the mammoth first hill, around wide bends and down the famous "low beam" hill that you must experience to believe. Even those who have ridden Gemini 100 times in one day say that no two rides are ever the same.
The Maverick and Mean Streak
Located on the tip of the historic Cedar Point Peninsula, Mean Streak is a wooden roller coaster that beckons riders from all around the park. Built in 1991, this wooden forest of hills and thrills features a stunning 161-foot-tall first hill, a blazing top speed of 65 mph and more than 5,400 feet of hair-raising excitement.

Made from 1.7 million board feet of treated Southern yellow pine, Mean Streak is still one of the tallest and fastest wooden roller coasters in the universe.
My new favorite coaster, the Maverick
Located in Frontiertown, the $21 million Maverick is a coaster unlike any other. Guests begin their adventurous journey on Maverick by boarding steam-era-styled coaster trains with an ultra-sleek profile that carry them along the 4,450-foot-long course. Linear synchronous motors propel the train to the top of a 105-foot-tall first hill. From there, it's not straight down -- it's more than straight down: Maverick takes its passengers down to Earth at an astonishing 95-degree angle at speeds of up to 57 mph to within five feet above the ground.

From there, the train hugs the terrain as it twists and banks around hairpin turns with quick but smooth changes in direction. Throughout the 2-minute, 30-second ride, passengers also experience eight "airtime-filled hills," two inversions and a second launch through a dark tunnel that leaves them in awe as they reach speeds of 70 mph.
Here is Shana and the Corkscrew
...takes its guests upside down not once, not twice, but three times in approximately two minutes! Onlookers stand in awe as the Corkscrew gracefully turns its passengers upside down directly over the midway. When it opened, Corkscrew was the first roller coaster ever to span a midway and was the first triple-looping scream machine in the world.
The wuss coaster, the Iron Dragon.
Guests aboard Iron Dragon are taken high above the treetops, around swooping turns and over a misty lagoon that leaves them looking for the Lake Erie monster.
The Power Tower - I like this ride!
Located in the middle of the park near the Corkscrew roller coaster, Power Tower is a 300-foot-tall, state-of-the-art adrenaline factory that features two towers which launch you up 240 feet and two towers which blast you down at speeds of up to 60 mph! Built in 1998, the $10 million Power Tower debuted as the tallest ride of its kind in the world.

We didn't ride Snake River Falls - because I thought it was pretty lame. I think it's more fun to watch people on the bridge get soaked by it!

The Magnum XL-200 - will give you more air time than any other coaster. This is the original super-coaster.
Standing an amazing 205 feet above the Earth below and cruising at a top speed of 72 mph, this scream machine was the tallest and fastest roller coaster ever created when it debuted in 1989.
Top Thrill Dragster is easily the most popular ride in the park. If you account for spectators- It's fun watching people get blasted at that speed.
Reaching a stratospheric 420 feet tall and topping out at an unheard of speed of 120 mph, this new steel screamer helped Cedar Point reclaim the title of owning the tallest and fastest roller coaster in the universe.

Riders begin their epic journey aboard this whopping 42-story screamer by securing themselves into ultra-cool trains that resemble top fuel dragsters. The train then moves into a "starting line" position, where it is launched forward, reaching 120 mph in approximately four seconds. The train then zooms straight up the 420-foot-tall hill on track that rotates 90 degrees, crests the coaster's apex and then free falls back to Earth. But hold on, this isn't your father's roller coaster. As the train races 400 feet to the ground, the track twists an unbelievable 270 degrees – what a rush
HappyJMC

woah!! Thanks for the pics, I got dizzy just looking at them!!
HaloGirl
Veteran Board Expert
Veteran Board Expert
Camera Model: Canon PowerShot SX10 IS & Applie iPhone

Love the sunset roller coaster pic. :heart:
Matt
President
President

Our hotel, The Breakers was great. It's one of those from the 20's that was typical of a lakeside amusement park of the time. These were the centerpeices of parks like Charlotte, Olcott, Sodus, Onondaga, etc. It was great to see it in such great shape- and also modernized. I wish I had more time to explore it.
Entrance:

Ballroom

ballroom tower

Ice cream parlor near the pool

Boardwalk along the beach

Beach in front of hotel

Shana in front of one of the hotel wings.
hoohaa
Senior Guide
Senior Guide
Camera Model: Canon 7D

A few of us have wanted to make the trip to Cedar Point for a few years. Maybe next summer. Seems like it would be one heck of a blast to get there and have some fun. I'd want to go for a couple days though -- one where I could go crazy and try everything. The other so my friends could do it a second time and I could walk around with my camera and do a lot of photography!
My photo blog: P.J.'s look at the world
My regular blog: A 'lil HooHaa
My flickr: HooHaa Photos

"Slow down and enjoy life. It's not only the scenery you miss by going too fast, you also miss the sense of where you are going and why." - Eddie Cantor
skiboarder72
Guide
Guide
Camera Model: Nikon D300, Nikon D50, 18-200mm VR, 11-16mm f2.8, 50mm f1.8, 85mm f1.8, SB-600

Wow thats amazing! What did you do with your camera when you were on the rides? That dragster looks insane... 420 feet!!
Matt
President
President

I brought the canon SD870, which is pretty small. I have a rugged leather case and it would fit perfectly in a zipped cargo short pocket. No a problem on coasters.
They do not let you use a camera on any rides, but I probably wouldn't be able to hold on to it anyways.

We stayed there 3 full days and get to ride everything (we wanted to ride) We could have easily stayed a 4th and 5th to relax and enjoy the hotel and other things to do in that area.
Matt
President
President

Shana getting ready to parasail

Shana after falling face-first into the lake exiting the boat.

The Midway