Lancaster Central Market - Pennsylvania

Scenes from Public Markets around the world. (Open Air Markets, Farmer's Markets, Flea Markets, Swap Meets, Souqs, Bazaars)

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

Kelly
Editor
Editor
Camera Model: Canon EOS 50D, EOS 7D Mi & ii, Rebel t3i, Canon M50

The oldest continuously operating market in the US.

New gallery on Scenes from a Public Market posted here: Lancaster Central Market
I am strong, because I've been weak.
I am fearless, because I've been afraid.
I am wise, because I've been foolish.

- Unknown

My NYFalls.com Team Page
Scenes from a Public Market
New York Historic
Des219
Senior Guide II
Senior Guide II
Camera Model: Canon 6D

I did not know that... Great to see you when you were there.
Kelly
Editor
Editor

It WAS great! We'll have to do it again! Or maybe you'll get up this way before I make it back to Pa. Hope you'll let us know when you're here.
BTW....You've been remarkably quiet about my balance issues! ;)

- Unknown

My NYFalls.com Team Page
New York Historic
Des219
Senior Guide II
Senior Guide II

I have been waiting for the right moment... If anyone has not had the pleasure to meet Kelly, her and her husband are quite nice people. However if you get Kelly around alcohol, just the smell of it, she just falls all over the place :)
Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

It's a wonder set, Kelly! Thanks for traveling out there and keeping that site updated with fresh an interesting markets. I'll be lucky if I get out to a market these days, let alone capture photos as good as yours.
Des219
Senior Guide II
Senior Guide II

Kelly has quite the eye and skill. Many of the photos look like they are staged in a studio, but they are just chosen and captured well.
Kelly
Editor
Editor

Thanks you two. I appreciate the nice comments. I do love photographing these places.

The tough part of the project for me is the detail you don't see: paving the way for smooth sailing through these venues, without pissing people off - or pissing off as few people as possible.

Ideally I would love for 95% of my time to be spent taking pictures. It doesn't work that way unfortunately. Explanations and small talk take up at least 50% of my visit at these places. That's why, once the verbal interactions have been established and markets feel comfortable with me, I like to make repeat visits to the best ones on a regular basis.

The funny thing is that this can totally backfire - but in a good way. We have a really awesome local market where I've become so connected to the manager and vendors that I end up chatting more than photographing - by choice. That's this place: Brighton Farmers' Market

Anyhooooooo--thanks for listening to my little side story. I DO love this project and I very much enjoy hearing comments.

This recent market, in Lancaster, shared our work on their FB page (not all markets will even do THIS!) and I was tickled to see how well received it was. A former White House Chef, who shops there, took it from that page and shared it on HIS page. I think that's cool - and it kinda made my day. Sharing what we do is how we gain momentum - so if you can help us out by sharing the project, please do.

If you know of cool markets for us to visit, please make a new topic for that market in the Farmers Market section of the board and let us know.

- Unknown

My NYFalls.com Team Page
New York Historic
Brenda
VIP II
VIP II
Camera Model: Canon PowerShot SX20 IS

It is a great series of photos and it is SO cool that both they and the chef shared it! :yahoo:
Finger Lakes Mill Creek Cabins
http://www.fingerlakescabins.com