Trout Lake Farmers' Market - Vancouver

Scenes from Public Markets around the world. (Open Air Markets, Farmer's Markets, Flea Markets, Swap Meets, Souqs, Bazaars)

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

Kelly
Editor
Editor
Camera Model: Canon EOS 50D, EOS 7D Mi & ii, Rebel t3i, Canon M50

The official gallery can be found here: http://scenesfromapublicmarket.com/#4680

I really liked the atmosphere at this market. Haters really gonna hate on this one. It's quirky and has that "nothing's good enough for my body" kind of feel, but still the people and products are so very interesting to see! My spritits were dampened a little by a nut job woman who felt she was the focus of my project and preferred not to be. She felt no shame in screaming at me at the top of her lungs. :cry:

Pretentious? Sure. Interesting and full of photos ops? Definitely. And they had gorgeous, local strawberries in September! That's not something I've seen around here.

It's on a little lake, and even though I'm not a dog fan, I had fun watching the dogs play in the off-leash play area.

Here are a couple of sets of snapshot outtakes:

I am strong, because I've been weak.
I am fearless, because I've been afraid.
I am wise, because I've been foolish.

- Unknown

My NYFalls.com Team Page
Scenes from a Public Market
New York Historic
Kelly
Editor
Editor

- Unknown

My NYFalls.com Team Page
New York Historic
Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

Another excellent gallery. I really love the purple trailer one.
what did the crazy lady scream at you?
Kelly
Editor
Editor

Matt wrote:Another excellent gallery. I really love the purple trailer one.
what did the crazy lady scream at you?
Thanks.

I was probably 25 feet away from her photographing a wide angle scene of a woman (her) buying a beautiful bouquet of fresh flowers. My eye is to the viewfinder when I hear - "EXCUSE ME! EXCUSE ME! EXCUSE ME! EXCUSE ME!"

I was so focused on getting a shot that I didn't realize a) it was coming from her - and b) that she was talking to me. Once I realized, I lowered the camera and listened to her (still yelling) say, "You are taking my picture. You did NOT ask my PERMISSION. I don't want my picture taken."

My response was a wave and a sheepish walk away with a slightly broken spirit. Oh well.

[spoiler]This is her. She didn't give me permission to take this picture, nor to publish it. ;)
Image[/spoiler]

- Unknown

My NYFalls.com Team Page
New York Historic
Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

unfortunately, if you are in a public place, or visible from a public space, you willingly or unwillingly are subject to image capture on any medium. Those images may be used in public or private media. The photographer or any agency representing the photographer may not profit from such a photograph without sharing in the revenue of the subject and/or owner of any intellectual property captured, or by waiver.

Translation = tough shit. Don't want to be photographed at all, lock yourself in a private room. Don't want to be published in a journal, ask, and kind journalists will assist. Don't want to end up in someone's twitter? Travel back in time to 1990. Don't want to be sold, you should have all legal right on that one. And especially don't go to a place where people carry cameras regularly.

I don't care for my photo being taken, but if i go out in public, especially a place that attracts tourists, I figure I'm going to end up in some pics. When I traveled in some remote inland villages of china, I was the attraction and I would say there are several hundred photos of me taken. I'll have to learn Chinese for "Excuse me!" for next time. If a metro street photographer asks to take my photo, I always decline, because I don't want them selling my image to stock agencies in other countries (which happens all the time, and f*** them all of them are guilty of it).
I have had situation where people asked me (often kindly) to not take photos of their product. In China, and in the Rochester Public Market, this was often because their products where knockoffs. I suspect one bakery was using illegal labor. Other people may just be jerks.

I have no objections to people asking me not to take pics. My response is usually: "Oh, I'm sorry, I'm just exited to be here and wanted to take pics for my album. Want me to delete the photos?" and they almost always say " No, it's fine."
My partners in China usually just spoke "He's American, he doesn't know what he's doing." and that seemed to work just fine.