Fannie Barrier Williams

Photographic catalog of New York State Historical Markers - Discussion and submissions

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

hobkyl
Camera Model: Pentax K30

There was a photo of the marker for Fannie Barrier Williams in the newspaper today with the story. I don't see the image in the online version though.

http://www.democratandchronicle.com/art ... r-Williams
“There’s an inconsequentiality to our lives that living in the wilderness shows up. Mountain are real, they set their limits, they set ours. They expose us, make us vulnerable and strong at the same time. “
--Alison Wat

Flickr Facebook
Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

Excellent!
This is why I love Black History Month. Bringing these people and their stories to light and giving them due focus, although for only one month, is an opportunity that isn't otherwise commonly granted. I love these kind of spotlights. Thanks for posting it (because I'm getting rather tired fo the countless mini-biographies on "Jazz musicians" and G.W. Carver cliches I'm seeing on TV every day this month). I love to learn about the local history as well as the civil rights movement.

This exerpt from her autobiography is striking, sad, but true:
We were probably a well-known family just for being black. Brockport didn’t have many colored people. But my family was fortunate. We were accepted. Acceptance was something I did not experience in later years when I went south to teach. I was informed there that I was of an “inferior race."