Handheld panning technique

Discuss everything including the optimal equipment, seasons, techniques and tips for capturing excellent photos.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

macnmotion
Senior
Senior
Camera Model: Canon 5D2

Passing along a tip I got from a Popular Mechanics photographer a few years back. I was at a model airplane competition, shooting photos with a long zoom lens. The ideal shot is a slightly slower exposure than you might imagine, allowing the propellers to show movement. However in order to accomplish this you need to pan along with the plane as it travels across your field of view. The pro photographer was watching me, and gave me a great tip on balance that allows for more precise panning.

For this example, the plane is moving left to right:

Incorrect way: What I was doing was aligning my body toward the incoming plane, and then rotating to my right as I followed the plane. This rotation setup had me starting in a balanced position, but twisting into an uncomfortable and unbalanced position as I twisted to the right.

Correct way: The professional instructed me to first align myself comfortably toward the right, where the end of the pan would be, and then corkscrew myself to the left waiting for the plane to come. By beginning the pan in a twisted position, my body naturally and comfortably unwound allowing me to maintain a balanced and consistent panning motion.

I now use this technique whenever I'm trying to pan along with an object (plane, car, dog, bird, etc.)

L_G_D
Board Expert
Board Expert
Camera Model: Sony Alpha 700

Those shots are amazing, I thought they were actual full sized planes until I read your post. Good tip on panning technique, too, I've never thought of that.
LGD
Brenda
VIP II
VIP II
Camera Model: Canon PowerShot SX20 IS

That is great advice, Andy!
Finger Lakes Mill Creek Cabins
http://www.fingerlakescabins.com
Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket