Travel Photography Tips

Discuss everything including the optimal equipment, seasons, techniques and tips for capturing excellent photos.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

Post your travel photography tips here.

Here are a few to start:

Sneak your shots. Disable your compact camera's sound, or your SLR's Focus Beep (check your manual for instructions on how to do this).

Before your trip, know how many shots you can get from a fully-charged battery. Use this to determine if you need to carry a spare when you are out and about on your trip.

Call your Renters/Home insurance carrier and check into the coverage of your possessions when you travel.

Never put your camera gear in checked baggage. Never put Lithium batteries in checked baggage.

You can't bring it all. Bring a comfortable, lightweight lens/body combo. With travel, wider is generally better.

Check beforehand to see if there are any festivals or holidays in the cities you will visit.
Kelly
Editor
Editor
Camera Model: Canon EOS 50D, EOS 7D Mi & ii, Rebel t3i, Canon M50

Does anyone have this lens.....or have thoughts on it? I've never ventured outside of Canon lenses...and while I know I can't expect perfection from an "inexpensive" lens with such a wide range.....I'm thinking it might be worth considering for an all-in-one travel lens. Or maybe not...... Thoughts?

Tamron AF 18-270mm f/3.5-6.3 Di II VC PZD LD Aspherical IF Macro Zoom Lens
I am strong, because I've been weak.
I am fearless, because I've been afraid.
I am wise, because I've been foolish.

- Unknown

My NYFalls.com Team Page
Scenes from a Public Market
New York Historic
Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

Depends on your tolerance for optical quality and focusing performance. A super-zoom is a super zoom. They can build them lighter and faster, but can't change the laws of optical physics, so they will always remain slow and of sub-average image quality. Also keep in mind, the larger your autofocus, generally the less time your battery will last. Powering the autofocus motor (aside from igniting the flash) is the most taxing thing your battery does.

DP review says...
Conclusion - Pros
Remarkable 15x focal length range
Impressive image quality in the normal to short telephoto range
Excellent resistance to flare
Effective vibration correction system, at least 3 stops benefit
Reasonably compact despite the long telephoto range

Conclusion - Cons
Slow and occasionally indecisive autofocus
Geometric distortion across much of the zoom range
Significant chromatic aberration at wideangle and telephoto (especially 270mm)
Macro performance rather compromised (very soft at F6.3, focus shifts on stopping down)
Uneven zoom action, zoom creep when not locked
Slightly sub-par build quality
Des219
Senior Guide II
Senior Guide II
Camera Model: Canon 6D

I know someone with the Mark 1 on a Canon 7D. He gets good photos with it and uses it frequently. The quality is better than most super zooms. I do think the focus could be quicker. It is a good carry around lens and has a 5 yr warranty that he used. Recently we were shooting flowers, tree roots in a stream and he was using the 18-270 and I my Canon 24-70. The images on the 24-70 were more detailed and showed greater range. One more factor though is the higher res sensor and full vs crop sensor. Hope this helps Kelly, even though this is a year later.
Kelly
Editor
Editor

Thanks, Des219! I did purchase this lens and used it almost exclusively on a 3 week trip to Europe. I wasn't expecting perfection, but wanted compact, lightweight and adequate. I knew it would not perform well in low light/at night, so I also brought along my 50mm f/1.8. Between the two lenses, I did ok. It's not the lens I use at home when I have choices, but it fit the bill perfectly for traveling really light and coming home with some decent photos.

All of these images were made using that lens.

- Unknown

My NYFalls.com Team Page
New York Historic
Des219
Senior Guide II
Senior Guide II
Camera Model: Canon 6D

Great! Did you ever get a chance to post some of those pictures? I saw a vacation thread where you mentioned your amazing trip but did not see any pictures.
Kelly
Editor
Editor

No . . . I didn't post vacation pictures. Well.....other than those 200 or so market pictures I linked to. A few of my 'best of 2012" are from Europe as well. (Hope you're preparing to participate in our "Best of 2013". It's become a tradition here!)

- Unknown

My NYFalls.com Team Page
New York Historic