Best Places to Print Photos

Discuss everything including the optimal equipment, seasons, techniques and tips for capturing excellent photos.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

hobkyl
Camera Model: Pentax K30

Shouldn't 2607 x 3650 by high enough to allow for poster prints?
“There’s an inconsequentiality to our lives that living in the wilderness shows up. Mountain are real, they set their limits, they set ours. They expose us, make us vulnerable and strong at the same time. “
--Alison Wat

Flickr Facebook
Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

sure... that's what, 10 mp? I don't see why you aren't getting those optons.
hobkyl

I'll send them an email...just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something simple.
“There’s an inconsequentiality to our lives that living in the wilderness shows up. Mountain are real, they set their limits, they set ours. They expose us, make us vulnerable and strong at the same time. “
--Alison Wat

Flickr Facebook
hobkyl

Heres another question...what options do you choose for printing? Gloss, satin, etc. Other options such as protective spray etc. Would either of these two benefit from a metal print?

Most likely, these two:

Bastion Falls by Kyle Hobart, on Flickr

Plattekill and Indian Head by Kyle Hobart, on Flickr
--Alison Wat

Flickr Facebook
Matt
President
President

I always go Matte or Luster (satin) especially if framing. Luster is probably the best, less intrusive on the actual photo.
Gloss was a Kodak invention of the 80s -- as it was a premium that labs charged for. It supposedly looked sharper and had more color. That's not true. It only has more reflection, and prints tended to stick together in a stack.
If framing, go for matted or luster to reduce those reflections.

Silver (not sure if Adorama is confusing this with metal) is a silverish paper best suited for black and whites. Your white point becomes silver and although it looks cool, you lose contrast because of this. I have seen some nice color portraits on it, but also some ones that make people look sick because of the silver white point. You could do that B/W one in silver, I would just exaggerate the contrast before printing.

Metal is the newest thing. I'm not a huge fan of it. I have some samples I got from some metal printers and I was never wowed me enough to justify the expense. It's basically enamel on aluminum, and then covered with a clear coat to seal it. A lot of people use it for HDR (maybe because it matches that gritty industrial look) or nature (greens show up very well).
Des219
Senior Guide II
Senior Guide II
Camera Model: Canon 6D

I too use Adoramapics for large photos. I printed a sunset at the Chesapeake in 36 x 24 and the results were great. For me I had to download their color profile for the print type. It made a big difference.

Photobooks I personally use shutterfly. I setup a share site for my daughter and have been posting pics since the day she was born and each Mother's Day have created a photobook. My friend is a wedding photographer and he typically uses Adoramapics with their archival quality books.
Matt
President
President

I want to do a print longer than 24 in, and Im looking at Adoramapix for it, but recently their turnaround has slowed.
This place does the prints for the nyfalls sales, and I'm very happy with the quality, especially the canvas prints, but... a bit more pricey.
http://simplycolorlab.com/