Female Portrait Tips

Discuss everything including the optimal equipment, seasons, techniques and tips for capturing excellent photos.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

One thing I read about extensively years back. I can't say I agree with this "study" as it has a lot more to do with artistic license and Photoshop capabilities than actually cultural ideal of beauty, but it does offer hints. I'm sure if you gave the photo to 22 artists in the same country you would get just as diverse results.
There's a book called photography called "Skin" that touches upon the subject a bit more. I think the best set of studies was one done by Kodak when they were tweaking some of their modern film formulas. I read an article about it in a encyclopedia of photography. They covered everything from color schemes of clothes, eye color, skin, and focal length. But I think those studies are now outdated. Wide angle close-ups are very popular in the eastern world now. And color popularity in the US shifts by generation (while not so much in Eurasia). Camera companies, such as Panasonic set their portrait settings to different schemes depending on region. USA releases tend to favor underexposure to darken the skin. Some cameras in Japan will overexpose, and brighten and widen the eyes.