Tripod Tips

Discuss everything including the optimal equipment, seasons, techniques and tips for capturing excellent photos.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

Kelly
Editor
Editor
Camera Model: Canon EOS 50D, EOS 7D Mi & ii, Rebel t3i, Canon M50

yes, this is the one I have.

http://reviews.bestbuy.com/3545/9448323 ... eviews.htm

I don't know if this model is even available anymore. It suits my limited needs for a tripod just fine. Anyone who uses one all the time would probably not find it adequate.
I am strong, because I've been weak.
I am fearless, because I've been afraid.
I am wise, because I've been foolish.

- Unknown

My NYFalls.com Team Page
Scenes from a Public Market
New York Historic
ApproachingLight
Board Expert
Board Expert

Tripod review in hopes this helps someone else.

Old: Mafrotto 190 tripod; Monfrotto 488 ball head

New: Same tripod; Really Right Stuff BH-40 ballhead.

Short Notes: You can see size difference, obviously weight follows size. What is super obvious to me is ease of use.The 488 camera plate attachment is so heavy and awkward you would never keep it on your camera (488 picture shows camera plate on the ballhead, but huge set knob is underneath). The RRS plate is small and light. It stays right on the camera all the time. With cold hands i honestly struggled many many times to get the six sided Manfrotto camera plate in place on the ball head; the RRS slides on, lever closed in 1-2 seconds. Last is the precision. These two don't compare. I feel like a geek how i admire the construction.

RRS: ordered both parts-ballhead and camera plate. Camera plate did not arrive. Called and emailed. They profusely apologized and 2 day aired the camera plate (at no further cost) with a follow up email to be sure I was good. Not bad service in all the xmas shuffle.
Attachments
photo copy copy.jpg
Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

6 sided plate? odd... how old is it?
ApproachingLight
Board Expert
Board Expert

Gosh don't know. Must be at least 5-7 years old i'm guessing. It is a clunky thing.
hobkyl
Camera Model: Pentax K30

I picked up a CF Rocketfish tripod with pan head for a good price on eBay and so far like it very much. It offers all the capabilities of the heavy hitters for a quarter of the price.
“There’s an inconsequentiality to our lives that living in the wilderness shows up. Mountain are real, they set their limits, they set ours. They expose us, make us vulnerable and strong at the same time. “
--Alison Wat

Flickr Facebook
ApproachingLight
Board Expert
Board Expert

Ebay!
Des219
Senior Guide II
Senior Guide II
Camera Model: Canon 6D

Old thread but... I just got a Manfrotto 054-Q2

http://www.manfrotto.com/054-magnesium- ... ck-release

Only used it on 2 hikes, but it is much lighter than my old pan & tilt and so much quicker to setup. It feels like a rock. The knobs are easy too. I find I locked it down so quickly that I would forget and go to lock it, but it would already be locked in position.

For legs I use the 190.
Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

I may have to upgrade to that head soon. My old steel one is just too cumbersome on long hikes.