Tripod Tips

Discuss everything including the optimal equipment, seasons, techniques and tips for capturing excellent photos.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

How do you store, carry, use your tripod?
Share those tips here.

A few to start:

I invested in a sturdy Manfrotto and bought some metal spiked feet for it. When hiking in streams and such, i just use it as a walking stick, with the camera attached or not. I don't put all of my weight on it, but for that extra stabilization, it's perfect.

Always give your tripod a little shake and tug before you put your camera on it... just to make sure it is stable and not going to slip or collapse. This is a great habit to have.
champy1013
Lead Contributer
Lead Contributer
Camera Model: Canon EOS 5D Mark IV

speaking of such - what model do you have? I need a nice, decent sturdy tripod. I'm sick of using cheap ones that fall apart...
Matt
President
President

maybe three years back I bought the
[amazon=B0015MFTE4]Manfrotto 190CXPRO3 3 Section Pro Carbon Fiber Tripod without Head[/amazon]
Which is light and sturdy. Well-worth the investment. IF i ever have replace it, I would go with the same model for sure.
They have improved on the model since I bought it. I think the hinges are more sturdy and it is a bit lighter.
I love this tripod. Although I have a smaller, lighter Aluminum all-in-one Manfrotto. I tend to carry this and two heads, even when I do full day hikes. It's THAT better.

I have stuck with Manfrotto for 3 tripods. I love their connect plates. I bought several extra so I could have them attached to all my cameras (and one in case I lose one). I have a lot of faith in their plates and rapid connect system. They have never failed and the feel of them snapping in gives me confidence my gear is safe.

The heads I have have already been updated:
[amazon=B002UOCWUK]Manfrotto 498RC2 Ball Head with Quick Release[/amazon] Replaces Manfrotto 488RC2 which I have. I think I would like the new knobs over the large ones I have. I may replace mine in the future.
[amazon=B002WN212I]Manfrotto 496RC2 Ball Head with Quick Release[/amazon] Replaces Manfrotto 486RC2 which I have. It is very small and light. I don't use this at all for my E-5, but it work well for my smaller cameras.

I'm very much considering these two heads, but very concerned about fitting the tripod in my case
[amazon=B000JLK5PK]Manfrotto 322RC2 Joystick Head Short[/amazon]
[amazon=B000H0338Y]Manfrotto 808RC4 3Way Standard Head[/amazon] this one uses another type of plate. It would get this to replace my video camera head. This works better for panning with SLRs.

If you are hiking, I highly recommend the [amazon=B002BSH2IW]Manfrotto 160SPK3 Rubber Spiked Feet[/amazon]. They are sharp spikes that replace the rubber feet. It really helps me use my tripod as a walking stick, gets great grips on rock. When not needed, just twist the rubber stoppers over the spikes for safety. Really great investment.

I wouldn't recommend a bag made by Manfrotto. They are way overprices and the one I bought, although of high quality, doesn't fit with the heads I chose.
This one seems to be a very nice one for just over $10
[amazon=B001D9AYF8]VidPro 35 in Tripod Carrying Case with Strap[/amazon]

And don't forget extra plates
[amazon=B001A1RMXG]Manfrotto 200PL14 RC2 Rapid Connect Mounting Plate[/amazon]
George
Senior Guide
Senior Guide
Camera Model: Nikon D300, Calumet 4x5

A tip from my large format days: to increase stability of the tripod, especially on windy days, hang your backpack from one of the struts that connect the legs with a carabiner.
backpacker
Board Expert
Board Expert
Camera Model: Nikon D90, D40x, Lenses Nikor 12-24, 18-105 vr, 18-135, 70-300 vr, sigma 150-5oo os

I also have a manfrotto way better than what I use to use I carry it on all trips. I have the 190cxpro4 tripod with the 486rc2 head I also bought extra plates and keep them attached to the camara and lens. a little more in weight but well worth the price.
The Mountains are Calling and I must Go John Muir
my flickr gallery
46er interview
ApproachingLight
Board Expert
Board Expert

Anyone here worked with "Really Great Stuff?" Just got a ball head form them. The reviews are top notch. Was inclined to replace the whole thing tripod and all, but the tripod was $910.00. Carbon and light, but makes no sense for me.

d
Matt
President
President

You mean Really Right Stuff? I looked into them when shopping around. For that amount i just went with what I know.
ApproachingLight
Board Expert
Board Expert

Yeah sorry. Really Right Stuff. I have the Manfrotto 488 ball head, but the set pin came out somewhere on a long moonlit hike up to a waterfall. So frustrating. I had the waterfall and moon position all figured. Ballhead was just flopping around when I got there.

Anyway the Really Right Stuff bullhead has lever and turn knobs that look easy and won't fall out. To me the slight extra cost is worth not having working equipment when you get where your going. However a $910 carbon tripod- i don't think so!