Tripod Tips

Discuss everything including the optimal equipment, seasons, techniques and tips for capturing excellent photos.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

I'm impressed by the specs and look of this line
http://www.mefoto.com/Products/BackPacker.aspx
Kelly
Editor
Editor
Camera Model: Canon EOS 50D, EOS 7D Mi & ii, Rebel t3i, Canon M50

you can't get one. they don't have pink. :mrgreen: :P
I am strong, because I've been weak.
I am fearless, because I've been afraid.
I am wise, because I've been foolish.

- Unknown

My NYFalls.com Team Page
Scenes from a Public Market
New York Historic
Matt
President
President

I decided against it. I don't think i can get used to those twist style leg locks. Seems like it would just take too much time to expand/collapse.

I would get the red though.
hobkyl
Camera Model: Pentax K30

I've never been impressed by twist lock myself. I've had issues with multiple pairs of hiking poles using this technology. Not only were they cumbersome to adjust, but they failed time and time again. Granted a hiking pole is a different application than resting a 1-3lbs camera and lens...but I wouldn't trust it.
“There’s an inconsequentiality to our lives that living in the wilderness shows up. Mountain are real, they set their limits, they set ours. They expose us, make us vulnerable and strong at the same time. “
--Alison Wat

Flickr Facebook
Matt
President
President

I agree.. I didn't think of that but I have gone through 2 hiking poles with twist locks and I just can't trust them. I bought a manfrotto monopod a few years back which i use for hiking to some extent and it's solid as a rock. Manfroto's leg locks (the clasping designs) are awesome. As are the quick connector plates. I guess I'll have to wait for manfroto to come out with some compact designs.
hobkyl

Would anyone strongly advise against an aluminum tripod? Not too long ago CF hadn't even been thought of, right?

My Rocketfish was great while it lasted. The cf broke around where the leg lock is. Even though I bought it on ebay, Rocketfish is a product of BestBuy, and they returned it and gave me a gc. However, they charge a tad more than the average bear and I'm not quite in the position to spend $300 on legs alone.

Vanguard seems to be highly regarded and comes with a lifetime warranty. The aluminum runs about $130, cf-$300.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Vanguard+-+ ... &cp=1&lp=9

Obviously there's the weight issue, but I don't carry my tripod generally on long hikes-and if I do, I don't think 1 extra pound will make or break me.

Any other must have reasons for cf over aluminum besides cold weather factors?
“There’s an inconsequentiality to our lives that living in the wilderness shows up. Mountain are real, they set their limits, they set ours. They expose us, make us vulnerable and strong at the same time. “
--Alison Wat

Flickr Facebook
Matt
President
President

I can't say that the weight of the legs matter much for me. I do not mind carry weight on my hikes.
Plus, with most sub 500 CF tripods, all the joint and the head mount are heavy plastic. Then the head is almost always going to be aluminum or steel. I have a carbon fiber tripod and I can't say it's all that light because I tack on a heavy head anyways.
If you get comparable tripods, you are talking about a 1 lb difference on a 10 -15lb + rig if you have a sizable head on it.

My only complaints about Aluminum:
Cold... way cold to handle in winter. If you get one, get one with foam grips.
Dents. A dent or bend in the leg could destroy it.

My complaints with Carbon Fiber:
Feels cheap and plastic.
Is not the miracle material that gives super stable tripods. The tripod still needs a solid design.
Less versatile, meaning those tripods won't have some mechanical features found in aluminum.

If you can, get a set of spiked feet. Makes all the difference for hiking.
hobkyl

Cold, not so worried about. I don't generally go out too much in the winter and when I do I am sure my lightweight but super warm gloves will keep me from freezing.

Strength...it's my understanding that if enough force was exerted to bend the aluminum...that same force would be enough to shatter the carbon fiber which I'm guessing was what caused my Rocketfish to fail while the legs were splayed out.

My biggest concern would be corrosion on aluminum. Being that my main focus is waterfalls and my tripods get wet and are prone to mud, dirt and dust inside parts that can't be cleaned...those that use/d aluminum-have they ever had failure due to this?
--Alison Wat

Flickr Facebook