Ruins along the Wynantskill

Display your photos or the photos of others here. This is also where you'll find the Monthly Photo Challenge.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

Jeduthan
Guide
Guide
Camera Model: Kodak Easyshare C1450

While following the Wynantskill to see the falls I came across more than a few remnants of the factories and industries that used the waterpower of the creek.

One of the more simple, yet ingenious, constructions I found was a 'pipe' made from brick. To keep the water pressure from bursting the bricks apart, the pipe had iron bands around the bricks. The pipe was about 3 feet in diameter.
Attachments
Brick pipe 2.jpg
Brick pipe 2.jpg (255.62 KiB) Viewed 3420 times
Jeduthan
Guide
Guide

Another view of the pipe and some of the foundations surrounding it. More foundations stretch off to the right, out of the picture frame.
Attachments
Brick pipe.jpg
Brick pipe.jpg (282.83 KiB) Viewed 3419 times
Jeduthan
Guide
Guide

A clinker forms while coal is burned in a furnace, when non-combustible waste products fuse together. Usually the ones I've seen at old industrial sites or near railroad beds are about a couple inches across. This one had long dimension of about seven inches.
Attachments
clinker.jpg
clinker.jpg (258.82 KiB) Viewed 3419 times
Jeduthan
Guide
Guide

A pair of bolts protruded from one of the foundations. I guess they probably held down the factory building sill plates, but they could have anchored equipment or machinery as well. These were not your usual find-in-your-hardware-store size bolts.
Attachments
bolts.jpg
bolts.jpg (225.75 KiB) Viewed 3419 times
Jeduthan
Guide
Guide

On the other side of the brick pipe, a former millrace ran parallel to the Wynantskill. Portions of the wall had collapsed, otherwise it was difficult to see that a wall was even there.
Attachments
millrace.jpg
millrace.jpg (223.16 KiB) Viewed 3419 times
Jeduthan
Guide
Guide

Above the set of falls farthest upstream, there's an large iron pipe that carried water to another set of factories. You can see how the force of the water moved the supports and twisted the steel.
Attachments
iron pipe.jpg
iron pipe.jpg (240.43 KiB) Viewed 3419 times
Jeduthan
Guide
Guide

Here's a section of pipe that looks like someone took the time to take apart. Not sure what the reason could have been - a salvage attempt, possibly? It didn't look like a failure or accidental break.
Attachments
iron pipe 3.jpg
iron pipe 3.jpg (223.5 KiB) Viewed 3419 times
Jeduthan
Guide
Guide

Here's a look inside the pipe, looking downstream. Note all the silt built up inside the pipe. I suspect it entered the pipe and then settled out of the water because the water velocity was too low to keep it moving. I wonder if anyone ever got the job to clean the pipe out now and then...
Attachments
iron pipe 2.jpg
iron pipe 2.jpg (236.34 KiB) Viewed 3419 times