Yund, Kennedy, and Yund Knitting Mill ruins, Amsterdam NY

Display your photos or the photos of others here. This is also where you'll find the Monthly Photo Challenge.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

Jeduthan
Guide
Guide
Camera Model: Kodak Easyshare C1450

Very little is left of this mill that used to operate on Kline Street in Amsterdam. I found the name of the mill on the Amsterdam Free Library website and also on an excellent website by Rob Yasinsac on ruins in the Amsterdam area and elsewhere in the Hudson Valley.
http://www.hudsonvalleyruins.org/yasinsac/links1.html
For the moment, please note the outline of the lighter brick on the building and the railroad tracks in the lower right of the picture.
Attachments
Kline St tower.jpg
Kline St tower.jpg (1.13 MiB) Viewed 4124 times
Last edited by Jeduthan on Sun Dec 01, 2013 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jeduthan
Guide
Guide

A view of the 'interior' of the mill. The lines of the exterior walls are just about all that's left, but if you look closely you can see an older stone wall towards the center of the picture. The stairtower in the first picture is visible off to the far right.
Attachments
Kline St ruins.jpg
Kline St ruins.jpg (151.76 KiB) Viewed 4123 times
Jeduthan
Guide
Guide

A large smokestack, seemingly unattended by any other structure, in the middle of a now-vacant lot with some smaller structures in the background.
Attachments
Kline St ruins 2.jpg
Kline St ruins 2.jpg (182.24 KiB) Viewed 4122 times
Jeduthan
Guide
Guide

The picture from the website of the Amsterdam public library that ties it all together. Note the corner tower near the railroad tracks and large smokestack, no longer isolated but next to the large mill. The shape of the building also matches the outline of the lighter brick visible on the stairtower in the first picture.
Attachments
y-k-y mill.jpg
y-k-y mill.jpg (18.47 KiB) Viewed 4122 times
Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

I was imagining something a lot smaller from the first pics, then that last one blew my mind. Not only was the mill huge, it was pretty beautiful. Too bad it fell... or whatever happened to it.

Their styles would actually do pretty well today... and is seems they sold knitted underwear. As if my boys weren't sweaty enough!

More pics of things here: http://tmacdaniel.smugmug.com/Family/Yu ... #!p=1&n=20