Hudson Falls mills

Display your photos or the photos of others here. This is also where you'll find the Monthly Photo Challenge.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

Jeduthan
Guide
Guide
Camera Model: Kodak Easyshare C1450

When I stopped in Hudson Falls hoping to get a picture of Bakers Falls, I noticed these old mills on the other side of the river. The buildings looked like they were practically in the river, one open to the air and the other boarded up. I thought I'd try to look up the history on the buildings and found out the older looking, open building is the former Allen Mills. From what I could find, GE used the building and stored PCB's in it, and from the building they leaked into the river.
Attachments
old mill.jpg
old mill.jpg (141.28 KiB) Viewed 3264 times
Last edited by Jeduthan on Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jeduthan
Guide
Guide

I also saw what looked like an old dam near the building, perhaps used to capture part of the energy of the falls before the larger concrete dam was built.
Attachments
Old dam.jpg
Old dam.jpg (162.77 KiB) Viewed 3263 times
Jeduthan
Guide
Guide

Upstream from the old mills and the dam, an old bridge spans the river parallel to the new one. I'm guessing it was just cheaper to leave the old bridge in place instead of taking it down once the new one opened. An elegant structure, even in its abandonment.

I wonder who owns it? Maybe it's not suitable for heavy traffic, but if the structure's stable it'd make a neat place for a summer home.

I thought the patterns in the water around the dam rather unusual. It seems to follow the curve of the dam across the river. Perhaps it's where the current coming down the river meets the water rebounding off the dam.
Attachments
bridge.jpg
bridge.jpg (145.41 KiB) Viewed 3263 times
L_G_D
Board Expert
Board Expert
Camera Model: Sony Alpha 700

Nice shots, very cool looking. I take it there's no legal way to get closer?
LGD
Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

Looks very cool. Thanks for posting.