Jackson Sanatorium - Dansville, NY

Display your photos or the photos of others here. This is also where you'll find the Monthly Photo Challenge.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

ADWheeler
Junior
Junior
Camera Model: Sony A77v DSLT, Sony A55v DSLT, Sigma Lenses

Sure, I have been getting a lot of requests for more photos since the collapse..
A.D.Wheeler ~ HDR Landscape and Abandonscape Photographer ~ NY Based
---------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.ADWheelerphotography.com
hobkyl
Camera Model: Pentax K30

Sweet! Sometime in June work for you?
“There’s an inconsequentiality to our lives that living in the wilderness shows up. Mountain are real, they set their limits, they set ours. They expose us, make us vulnerable and strong at the same time. “
--Alison Wat

Flickr Facebook
ADWheeler
Junior
Junior

Well as an impromptu Birthday gift I took a fellow photog friend of mine to Jackson Sanatorium yesterday and filmed the collapse and a few other sites that I had not seen before while there. These are not documentary shots, they are highly stylized as I was going for a dark and eerie feel with some of them. The building I am happy to say is still intact. We did a perimeter sweep and an little investigation of the power plant, pool, and outlying houses. What I am not happy to report is that I believe that it is more dangerous than ever on the inside now. The floor seem much more squishier than before. Not good when steel and bricks are "squishy". So while a Jun trip to do exterior exploring is great for me, I do not feel comfortable leading anyone inside at this point. Other than just inside the front door to see that. The warning signs for a major collapse are there. And I am afraid that the developer has sat on his hands far to long on this one. Tying up NY grant money that could have been more effectively used somewhere else. This building will not be saved and will soon fall. Here are the shots. Still willing to lead a team for further exterior shots in June if you are interested.

Come out and Play by A.D.Wheeler, on Flickr

There's a Killer on the Road by A.D.Wheeler, on Flickr

Powerless Station by A.D.Wheeler, on Flickr

Castle on the Hill by A.D.Wheeler, on Flickr

Castle on the Hill by A.D.Wheeler, on Flickr

And here is the collapse. The 2 attached 2 story buildings just came down..

By The Hand of God by A.D.Wheeler, on Flickr
hobkyl
Camera Model: Pentax K30

Happy Belated Birthday Andy! Those photos are great!

It doesnt have to necessarily be Jackson we explore...but I would be interested in visiting there if only to check out the outside.
“There’s an inconsequentiality to our lives that living in the wilderness shows up. Mountain are real, they set their limits, they set ours. They expose us, make us vulnerable and strong at the same time. “
--Alison Wat

Flickr Facebook
ADWheeler
Junior
Junior

Thanks bro but not my Birthday.. :-) I took a friend as a gift to him. He has been wanting to visit for a couple of years now. We can do a meet up and visit a couple "haunts". Would most likely be a Sunday or middle of the week. Sundays are better because my girlfriend is home and I have a "get out of jail" call in case we run into trouble. During the week it wouldn't be good seeing that she works in the same department I would get bailed out of... lol
Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

wonderful series! I like the style.
ADWheeler
Junior
Junior

Kyle, Matt, can you send me an email. I am trying to organize a meet for Jackson for June. It is better if I do it via email. Thanks guys.
ADWheeler
Junior
Junior

Sorry I have been AWOL on the JS thing guys... News is, we cannot visit. Just talked with a photographer who was arrested this past weekend up there and they didn't even enter the building. Apparently the from my source, the doors have been sealed and they are actively patrolling the site now. I am sorry, I know you guys were looking forward to visiting. I guess the community has cracked down on the owner "Crow Construction" about securing the building because of the collapse and I guess someone fell down the empty tower elevator shaft there. With that pressure the owners have gone to the police to step up patrols. I will keep my eyes & ears open if anything changes and also include you in on any upcoming adventures.