Hoodoos 2013

A virtual place for planning to get together in the real world. Help plan photography hikes, walks, and meet-ups.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

I need to get out and do something physically exhausting.
Who is up for hoodos?

Chimney Bluffs or Letchworth at St. Helena?

One thought: We can add LED lights to our creations, then wait until dark and photograph them.
Kelly
Editor
Editor
Camera Model: Canon EOS 50D, EOS 7D Mi & ii, Rebel t3i, Canon M50

Matt wrote:I need to get out and do something physically exhausting.
My lawn needs mowing and trimming every 4 days - and there's enough weeding, pruning, and digging to keep you busy in between. When are you free? :help: :fraz:

I am up for a hoodoo outing and though I suck at building them, would gladly cheer you all on and take pictures. We had the area at Letchworth all to ourselves which was nice. Would it be likewise at Chimney Bluffs?
I am strong, because I've been weak.
I am fearless, because I've been afraid.
I am wise, because I've been foolish.

- Unknown

My NYFalls.com Team Page
Scenes from a Public Market
New York Historic
hobkyl
Camera Model: Pentax K30

Lol Kelly.

Memory doesn't recall...but does the chimney bluffs have good hoodoo rocks?
“There’s an inconsequentiality to our lives that living in the wilderness shows up. Mountain are real, they set their limits, they set ours. They expose us, make us vulnerable and strong at the same time. “
--Alison Wat

Flickr Facebook
Matt
President
President

Chimney depends on the season and water levels. Year to year it's different. In fact it has changed drastically since i was a kid. There's less then half the beach now and much larger rocks. There's always white trash and a sizable dead fish there though. we would have to do early morning there, and expect the locals and visitors to come and trash them at drinkin' time.
Any other locations?
Grimes is a decent place if people don't mind working in the water.
pgflyer1
Senior Guide II
Senior Guide II
Camera Model: Nikon D5500, P510

In the future you may want to try McIntyre Bluffs, N 43.37087 W 76.66243. Similar to chimney but not many dead fish and a lot less human traffic too. In the past years there were to many college kids having uncontrolled beer parties here. So the DOT put blocks across the road to make it harder for party animals to carry in large quantities of beer in. This is an "un-maintained park". Years ago I was there before they put blocks in road. I was standing on the rocky beach, when a "Border patrol" jeep pulled up next to me. I asked the officer what was going on? He told me that this spot in the shortest distance across the lake for illegal aliens to come into the USA. It's only 33 miles across to Canada. There trails in here and some can be dangerous too. Some trails actually skirt the edge of cliffs of top of bluffs.
There's no half-singing in the shower, you're either a rock star or an opera diva." - Josh Groban
Matt
President
President

That's a possibility, but I was told that was private property (when I asked the county about including it in my list of Lake Ontario parks/beaches). Has that situation changed?
pgflyer1
Senior Guide II
Senior Guide II
Camera Model: Nikon D5500, P510

I'll check on it the next time out that way.
There's no half-singing in the shower, you're either a rock star or an opera diva." - Josh Groban
Kelly
Editor
Editor
Camera Model: Canon EOS 50D, EOS 7D Mi & ii, Rebel t3i, Canon M50

There's a limit on how far I will travel to stack rocks. Chimney Bluffs is pushing it. That exceeds it. But y'all have fun.
I am strong, because I've been weak.
I am fearless, because I've been afraid.
I am wise, because I've been foolish.

- Unknown

My NYFalls.com Team Page
Scenes from a Public Market
New York Historic