Hoodoos at the Bluff

A virtual place for planning to get together in the real world. Help plan photography hikes, walks, and meet-ups.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

In or Out?

In
100%
Out
No votes
Maybe
No votes

Total votes: 1
Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

Chimney Bluffs State Park

10 am
Hoodoo construction and a Hike along the Bluffs (2 miles - steep incline)
Pack a lunch.

To be cancelled if rain or no beach.

[important]Rescheduled - This Saturday - June 9 @ 9am[/important]
Kelly
Editor
Editor
Camera Model: Canon EOS 50D, EOS 7D Mi & ii, Rebel t3i, Canon M50

I'm an innie. Always have been.
I am strong, because I've been weak.
I am fearless, because I've been afraid.
I am wise, because I've been foolish.

- Unknown

My NYFalls.com Team Page
Scenes from a Public Market
New York Historic
ApproachingLight
Board Expert
Board Expert

Always wanted to go. It would be nice to catch them at sunset. Only problem is sunset may be close to seven (or later?). But looks like a nice shot from this angle or up high just east of the bluffs, so you wouldn't be down in the bluffs when the sun went down and it got dark.

or you could just do as this guy did and put a fake sky in the picture
Attachments
fakeone.jpg
hobkyl
Camera Model: Pentax K30

As of right now, I will say I'm in. Conversely, I've wondered what they'd look like at sun rise. Is that your photo David?
“There’s an inconsequentiality to our lives that living in the wilderness shows up. Mountain are real, they set their limits, they set ours. They expose us, make us vulnerable and strong at the same time. “
--Alison Wat

Flickr Facebook
ApproachingLight
Board Expert
Board Expert

Gosh no. Googled "Chimney bluffs Ontario" and noticed this one in getting a perspective of where an angle might be. Sunrise might be good also. NY info says open "dawn to dusk," whatever that means. Also a mention it was "closed" in 2010 for budget cuts. Signs supposedly say "closed," but do not say "no trespassing." Info at: http://www.ilovethefingerlakes.com/recr ... bluffs.htm

Some research:
May 12, 2012 Sunrise: 5:49 AM Sunset: 8:25 PM 14h 35m 24s + 2m 13s 1:07 PM 65.2° 151.145

This pic map below shows the angle of the sunrise/sunset. Only thing is the time of the sunrise doesn't match others. So not confident this is completely correct. It is kind of a cool tool ( http://www.esrl.noaa.gov/gmd/grad/solcalc/)
Attachments
Screen Shot 2012-02-28 at 12.53.57 AM.jpg
Matt
President
President

My family has a cottage right next to the Bluffs. Have seen many sunset/sunrise. Navigating the bluffs after dark is not all that easy. Headlamps are recommended. But dusk lasts longer on the lake... should be ok for at least 30 minutes after the sun sets. Sunrises are rarely impressive unless you have a storm coming. The best place to get a setting sun within the frame is the east end of the bluffs, which are probably better suited for photos (they are steeper). The east beach is better for shots of the pebble beach, if it isn't covered with white trash drinking Papst Blue Ribbon and setting things on fire.

Water levels have risen significantly here over the last 15 years. I would say the beach has gone from 30ft+ to just 5 to 10 now. if the water is rough, there will be no beach.
Matt
President
President

[important]Date Change![/important]

I just booked a business/pleasure trip out of town for May and since who knows who can do a hoodoo hoedown without the hoodoo master, I have to push this back (it's actually better because there will be more beach in June.

Date proposed is JUNE 2... a saturday
Kelly
Editor
Editor
Camera Model: Canon EOS 50D, EOS 7D Mi & ii, Rebel t3i, Canon M50

Matt wrote:[important]Date Change![/important]

trip out of town for May

Date proposed is JUNE 2... a saturday
So let me get this straight. You're going out of town. And upon your return, you will propose to that special someone on June 2? So we can all be there to see it? Awesome! Congratulations! :up: :heart:

If she says yes, may I be the flower girl? :mrgreen:
I am strong, because I've been weak.
I am fearless, because I've been afraid.
I am wise, because I've been foolish.

- Unknown

My NYFalls.com Team Page
Scenes from a Public Market
New York Historic