Are we going to sit on our behinds?

A virtual place for planning to get together in the real world. Help plan photography hikes, walks, and meet-ups.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

ApproachingLight
Board Expert
Board Expert

Hey let's a plan something. There was a great discussion about some Seneca lake location, the upper half, having not been well charted. Sounded really neat. There was some history, some lack of photographs, some tough climbing. Dang! What more do you want?

Been working wicked too much, and have a breather now. It is supposed to rain, which means flow. What up? Any ideas? david
Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

is there anything on the upper half? lower half is where all the action is.
hobkyl
Camera Model: Pentax K30

Please elaborate...which location is this that you are referring to?
“There’s an inconsequentiality to our lives that living in the wilderness shows up. Mountain are real, they set their limits, they set ours. They expose us, make us vulnerable and strong at the same time. “
--Alison Wat

Flickr Facebook
ApproachingLight
Board Expert
Board Expert

It was in February or March and someone brought up the possible upper part of a known falls i believe was near Watkins glen. A bunch were in on the topic. If i remember right someone included some old articles and drawings implying that there was another set of falls. It involved a difficult climb. And a bunch thought we should make it a possible outing. Had me intrigued.

Anyone recall that or am I losing it?
hobkyl

Ah yes ok...Havana/Eagle Cliff.

I had thought much about this lately. I hope to make it down tommorow actually, depending on when I can get Safelite scheduled to repair my windshield and get my car inspected.

I dont know how this will work in the spring. It requires crossing the stream to climb the bank. With all the rain...this may be difficult...it might be something better planned for summer (when flow is low) or winter (when the creek is frozen over). At any rate, if I make it down tommorow I will check out the possibilities and report back. The other thing with doing this in "season"...is there will be more people there (not sure if we are allowed to climb that bank) and you climb over alot of undergrowth...which may be daunting and expose you to insects, posion ivy and other critters that might take a nip at your misplaced hand.
“There’s an inconsequentiality to our lives that living in the wilderness shows up. Mountain are real, they set their limits, they set ours. They expose us, make us vulnerable and strong at the same time. “
--Alison Wat

Flickr Facebook
ApproachingLight
Board Expert
Board Expert

Kyle it would be great if you reported back. I recall there were many who were interested.
cbobcat49
Camera Model: Olympus Stylus 400

Wait, if memory serves me right, I thought the trail that someone discovered was along the left side near the parking lot? If so that would not involve crossing the creek. Just making sure I've got my directions right because I was hoping to check this out this summer too.
What lies behind us and what lies ahead of us are tiny matters compared to what lives within us. ~Henry David Thoreau
hobkyl

I don't know...I think Matt and Andy tried this and got stuck? Also from Brett's property map he posted it appears private property runs right up to the edge of the gorge. From viewing that map it looks as though the park owns a narrow strip of land on the left bank. Ill see what I can gather.
--Alison Wat

Flickr Facebook