Are we going to sit on our behinds?

A virtual place for planning to get together in the real world. Help plan photography hikes, walks, and meet-ups.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

ApproachingLight
Board Expert
Board Expert

I'm in if you guys book a date i can make. seems like roping in 3 or 4 people offers some safety. And on getting back down, roped tree for descent, except last one who doubles up rope on either side of the tree to get down. Requires 200 feet of rope maybe. Curious to see your pics kyle.
hobkyl
Camera Model: Pentax K30

Grrr...I never seem to be happy with my photos :(

At any rate, if your familiar with Havana then you know it doesnt usually look like this. I wasnt about to try crossing over in conditions like this.

I only had 100' of rope with me and think that would have worked fine, unless you want to run the rope from the very top. I was going to double up the rope all the way down or till I got to a point where I felt that I wouldnt be able to climb back up without it. Again its steep, but there are lots of trees along the way so I think most of it would be doable without rope (If my memory serves me correctly)...but its always good to be safe.
“There’s an inconsequentiality to our lives that living in the wilderness shows up. Mountain are real, they set their limits, they set ours. They expose us, make us vulnerable and strong at the same time. “
--Alison Wat

Flickr Facebook
Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

why wouldn't you be happy with those?
hobkyl
Camera Model: Pentax K30

I dont know...Im my own worst enemy Im sure. They look soft and they lack the "pop" feel. Granted this could have been due to mist swirling around inside the ampitheatre, but meh...Im just not happy with them or the others I took. I was happy with my Excelsior and Hector ones, which seem more crisp...but as the day worn on and I traveled to Havana, Sheguyqua, Aunt Sarahs, Watkins and Deckertown...the image quality seemed to slip.
“There’s an inconsequentiality to our lives that living in the wilderness shows up. Mountain are real, they set their limits, they set ours. They expose us, make us vulnerable and strong at the same time. “
--Alison Wat

Flickr Facebook
Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

send me the raw file and I can tell you if there is anything technical.
ApproachingLight
Board Expert
Board Expert

Kyle those pics are nice. Many pics I take come in that way before processing. Not sure what you use to process photos but there are some simple things you can do. Like the one of the falls. The foreground is clear and pops out where the falls are less clear. Burning shodows, use of contrast brush and dodging highlights will make it pop. Using the saturation tool in the foilage in the background is worth a try. If you want to get more complicated, overlay gradients and masking are harder to learn, but really effective.

BUT FIRST. Let's go to these falls, guys. Throw out a date. In a couple of weeks the waters shouldn't be so bad?
bremer
Senior
Senior
Camera Model: Sony Alpha 230

Theres a very well defined rim trail that starts right at the top of the metal staircase on the gorge trail or just left of the welcome sign at the end of the parking lot (the one starting on the gorge trail is more well defined). The trail will head down above eagle cliff falls. Its a bit sketchy but it leads down to the 2nd open amphitheater below "Curtain falls". Seems like people come here often as rocks are piled up and there are beer cans. Between curtain falls and eagle cliff is another set of presumably unnamed falls and an interesting angular "room" called the "council chamber". From what I could tell there is very little chance of seeing anything else unless someone is very determined. You can see some of bridal veil from the rim but there's essentially zero chance of seeing it from below. There are more falls beyond bridal veil but never anyway down. Best bet would be to wait for lower water as it might at least improve the chances of seeing more. Here are the locations you can see without too much trouble:

[img2]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... erwood.jpg[/img2]

[img2]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... _F.%29.png[/img2]
Remnants of the walkways can still be seen around the council chamber

[img2]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... _F.%29.jpg[/img2]
"Now I see the Secret of the making of the best persons. It is to grow in the open air and to eat and sleep with the earth" - W. Whitman
Roots Photography