March 19th Owl Prowl

A virtual place for planning to get together in the real world. Help plan photography hikes, walks, and meet-ups.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

Going?

I'm in
44%
Me and guest(s)
33%
Maybe
11%
No way
11%

Total votes: 9
ApproachingLight
Board Expert
Board Expert

:up:
mrbirdnerd
Senior
Senior
Camera Model: Olympus E-500 DSLR

Excellent photo. Good find. Isn't it great spotting one for the first time, Kyle?

I have been reading on the Genesee Birding list that there have been a lot of people in the woods that have been manicuring their shots (breaking or shaking branches) and did not realize that there was a photo contest going on. Thanks for the heads up, Kyle.

I was going to post about these messages on this board, but I know that when we went on our outing, we were very respectful of the Owls. It just seems to me that if I were a judge in this photo contest that BBRR is holding, I would go for the shot that looks most natural. A Saw Whet, with eyes closed (sleeping during day), tucked away deep in a spruce, branches in front and behind. You know, it's natural surroundings.

I know that I have been asking on this board about removing branches or other obstructions using Photoshop, but that is the only manicuring that I would even think of doing. Artificial manicuring after the photo has been taken.

Thank You to all in this group for your responsible, respectful, naturalist approach to photography. It is a pleasure to have been able to introduce and guide this group trough Owl Woods, and look forward to future outings with the group.
Mike F.
MrBirdNerd
Olympus E-500
ZUIKO 14-45mm F3.5-5.6
ZUIKO 40-150mm F3.5-4.5
Sigma 55mm-200mm f/4-5.6 DC
Sigma 135-400mm f/4.5-5.6 DG APO Aspherical
Flickr
hobkyl
Camera Model: Pentax K30

Yes Mike it sure is! Ive went from chickadees, to saw whets, to seeing this long ear in a year. Am I becoming a birder? :D

I dont think it was any of our members that were doing it...just making mention. I know we werent the only ones drawing attention, theres been some photos on flickr as well and I had forgot about the RBA...which is basically a real time ticker (pretty close to it at least) for birds in our area. That in itself would draw alot of extra interest to the woods. And on another note, he said it wasnt just photographers...he said seasoned birders were getting too close and breaking braches as well.

Anywho...we are off to the woods now. Hopefully the high winds arent an issue for spotting or banding.
“There’s an inconsequentiality to our lives that living in the wilderness shows up. Mountain are real, they set their limits, they set ours. They expose us, make us vulnerable and strong at the same time. “
--Alison Wat

Flickr Facebook
hobkyl

Jess and I stopped out to today to partake in the festivities, however didnt see much happening. There was a small group at the hawk banding station...and other than that as far as we could tell that was it. No food or activities as advertised that we saw. Anyone else venture out there?

While there we spotted 3 saw whets. A lady told me that the long ear had been spotted near the classroom, but had been spooked out and possibly headed over towards the Parkway. Well...of course I had to go look. :roll: I walked into a large stand of younger pines and swoosh! I had flushed it out of the tree. :( All I saw was the shadow (and I cant say for 100% that it was the long ear, but it was a fairly large bird). As I started to head back to the parking lot...swoosh! I had flushed it out again, and it flew again in the same direction as I was headed...however that was the last time that I saw it.

It was another eventful day at the woods. :D

“There’s an inconsequentiality to our lives that living in the wilderness shows up. Mountain are real, they set their limits, they set ours. They expose us, make us vulnerable and strong at the same time. “
--Alison Wat

Flickr Facebook
mrbirdnerd
Senior
Senior
Camera Model: Olympus E-500 DSLR

Great photos, Kyle. You are well on your way to becoming a birder.
That probably was the Long Ear that you were flushing. It does not take much at all to flush them, they can hear and see you coming from a long ways off. I am sure that it was not very settled in and comfortable due to the number of people going through on Owl Prowls that weekend.

I mainly go into Owl Woods in the early AM, not only due to my work schedule, but also to try to get in and spot the Owls before the human traffic begins for the day. I go in very quiet and take my time going through, usually stopping along the way looking through binoculars to scout trees ahead before I get anywhere near them.
Mike F.
MrBirdNerd
Olympus E-500
ZUIKO 14-45mm F3.5-5.6
ZUIKO 40-150mm F3.5-4.5
Sigma 55mm-200mm f/4-5.6 DC
Sigma 135-400mm f/4.5-5.6 DG APO Aspherical
Flickr
hobkyl

Has the migration passed?
--Alison Wat

Flickr Facebook