Kayaking

Discuss local parks, preserves and lakes here.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

I bought my second Kayak... My first, a tandem expedition one, didn't get much use because it was so bulky and tedious to set up. I don't think i used it in a year.
Having paddles and gear, i figured a simple $300 investment in a cheapo kayak from Dicks would be a worthy buy if i use it regularly this summer. I took it out last weekend and for a $300 kayak, it did well. Nice and fast, smooth. Tracking wasn't perfect, but I was impressed.
Since I'm not too keen on tying this thing to the top of my compact car, I just stored it at my sister's home by Lake Ontario at Edgemere. I have access to most of the ponds from there.

Almost got caught in a lightening storm with my canon s95... I've never paddled so fast! I was maybe 20 feet or so ahead of the front.

Anyone else here Kayak? Anyone want to try?
Kelly
Editor
Editor
Camera Model: Canon EOS 50D, EOS 7D Mi & ii, Rebel t3i, Canon M50

I kayaked once.
In a swimming pool.
I would love to try. Been wanting to for a while. Don't have one, but would consider getting one.....IF it would fit inside my vehicle. I wonder. What is the length of your one person kayak?
I am strong, because I've been weak.
I am fearless, because I've been afraid.
I am wise, because I've been foolish.

- Unknown

My NYFalls.com Team Page
Scenes from a Public Market
New York Historic
Matt
President
President

9.8 feet i think. I went for the middle model on the floor at Dicks.
I like it. For $300 it is a good value. I see it was on sale recently for 270.

It fit inside (sticking out the window) the Jeep liberty we used to carry it home in. If you have an SUV with racks on top then a cheap $30 kit will allow you to carry two on top.
If you are a good swimmer, and don't mind getting wet/cold, an open kayak fits better. They don't go as fast.
You could go inflatable, which are more stable, condense down to fit a small case, and can be had on amazon.
There are cheapos and then there are awesome ones.

I wonder how long it would take to paddle from Ontario beach park to Chimney Bluffs... anyone?
hobkyl
Camera Model: Pentax K30

I fell in love the first time I tried. I can't afford one at the moment, but when I can I will most likely get one from LL Bean. They have them for $400 and you can't go wrong with a lifetime warranty. I will get my next opportunity the week of the 4th, when I go to Jess' cottage and am so looking forward to it! I spend at least 4 hrs a day on it. Up before everyone else and out on the lake, through a inlet and to another lake, and the another. I think I paddled close to 15 miles one day... stopping to take pics and have lunch on an island. Then I'll also go out at sunset. Yep, Jess and her family generally don't see me till night time for brews and cards.

Ontario Beach to Chimney Bluffs?....I'd say that's a full day. 10 hours at least if you average between 4-5 mph.
“There’s an inconsequentiality to our lives that living in the wilderness shows up. Mountain are real, they set their limits, they set ours. They expose us, make us vulnerable and strong at the same time. “
--Alison Wat

Flickr Facebook
George
Senior Guide
Senior Guide
Camera Model: Nikon D300, Calumet 4x5

We have a small fleet of canoes and kayaks, and the critical issue is weight. Lately I've gone back to canoeing in my solo kevlar boat because it's easy to get on and off the car and carry to the launch. But if I were to go on Lake Ontario, especially the downwind end, I'd want my big expedition kayak with a rudder. I took that boat on a 4-day trip down the tidal part of the Hudson and it stood up to storms, cabin cruiser wakes and barges. My wife has the LLBean kayak and loves it for poking around flat water and tidal arms of the Hudson. There's alot to be said for the cheapo kayak if that's what you will use.
Matt
President
President

This is the inflatable one I have
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000J2 ... =nyfcom-20

I may consider trying to take that one from here to Chimney Bluffs.... They make a sail for it, which would help.
Matt
President
President

My nephew in his open kayak
devlin-kayaking.jpg
devlin-kayaking.jpg (45.26 KiB) Viewed 10205 times
My brother-in-law towing my niece who is pretending to paddle.
Dan-lily-kayaking.jpg
Dan-lily-kayaking.jpg (236.45 KiB) Viewed 10205 times
Kelly
Editor
Editor
Camera Model: Canon EOS 50D, EOS 7D Mi & ii, Rebel t3i, Canon M50

Looks like lots of fun. I wonder how long Lily will be able to milk that one!
I am strong, because I've been weak.
I am fearless, because I've been afraid.
I am wise, because I've been foolish.

- Unknown

My NYFalls.com Team Page
Scenes from a Public Market
New York Historic