Allegheny National Forest

Discuss local parks, preserves and lakes here.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

cbobcat49
Camera Model: Olympus Stylus 400

This past Saturday, Julie, myself and our friend Emily hiked a 7.6 mile out and back on the Morrison Run trail in the Allegheny National Forest. We met up with Kathy and Tom from the Olean Hiking Club. The trail was a gradual downhill following Morrison Run itself. The forest here is PRISTINE. Super high trees, the creek gurgling by next to the trail, and lots of boulders to climb around, sometimes they were in the creek itself. The rocks in this area are not anything like most of central and western New York with its mostly shale. These are all quartz conglomerate rocks and boulders. Some the size of houses. Here's a bunch of pictures from the trip.

a snake that I made a point of not showing Julie. She's terrified of them!

the forest near the trailhead...

I can imagine this tree gradually sliding down the rock over the years...

Emily and Julie relaxing at a campsite someone had made...

Our destination. Morrison run as it enters the Allegheny Reservoir...

at the reservoir...

I liked the composition of this one...

looking up Morrison Run...

lots of huge boulders here...

back to the trailhead...

some beautiful flowers near the trailhead...
What lies behind us and what lies ahead of us are tiny matters compared to what lives within us. ~Henry David Thoreau
Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

Chris, those photos make me wonder why you don't post pics more often. Great job! I like the idea of these trip reports with photos. They make me want to get out to these places.
cbobcat49

I guess I don’t post pics more often because sometimes I’m too lazy to sift through them all to
determine which ones are “good” and which are “bad”. :) The ANF is definitely amazing.
Allegany State Park in NY too.
I want to get down to the ANF more often over the next couple of years.

Chris
What lies behind us and what lies ahead of us are tiny matters compared to what lives within us. ~Henry David Thoreau
backpacker
Board Expert
Board Expert
Camera Model: Nikon D90, D40x, Lenses Nikor 12-24, 18-105 vr, 18-135, 70-300 vr, sigma 150-5oo os

Great pictures Chris,
Reminds me of home in PA, Those boulders are from glacier deposits I see a lot of them in the Adirondacks, I always look for the trees that grow on the rocks.

Like this one

The Mountains are Calling and I must Go John Muir
my flickr gallery
46er interview
Brenda
VIP II
VIP II
Camera Model: Canon PowerShot SX20 IS

I just hosted a ranger from the ANF Monday night (along with several other forest service folks over the past 3 nights)! Great photos, both of you!
Finger Lakes Mill Creek Cabins
http://www.fingerlakescabins.com
cbobcat49

wow! I don't think I've ever seen a tree that large growing on a rock.
cbobcat49

We made it back to Morrison Run this past Saturday. I was tempted to cancel our trip when I looked at the weather report in the morning but saw that the bands of showers were going to be intermittent. So we decided to give it a go and take our chances. It rained the entire way down, stopped for our entire 5 hour hike, with the exception of some misty drizzle here and there (not enough to put a coat on). Then 30 seconds after we were done and in the car and back on PA 59, it started to downpour! :rubeyes:
The creek was really full of water and roaring.

The mist along the creek was really beautiful...

The Allegheny reservoir was so full that many shoreline campsites were submerged. Note the bushes on the bottom right here... :drown:

We stopped and ate lunch at the reservoir. The water started to get a bit choppy and the wind started to pick up. We were expecting to get drenched but the downpour didn't come. (until we got back to the car 2 hours later)

A different angle of the same tree and rock I shot 3 years ago...
Last edited by cbobcat49 on Mon May 16, 2011 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

excellent. The mist really add to the shots. How big is that last rock?