I lost my job

The fun forum. Discuss anything here.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

Been sick... which slowed down the efforts. I only have a half month left at my current job.. time is running out.

I have another "no positions, but let's meet" thing Wednesday morning with a start-up marketing agency.

Friday I'm driving all the way out to Seneca Falls for mystery interview. I just know it's in IT. I don't know if i am fit for it and they won't release any details. That would be a relocation situation. They would need to give me at least a month lead time.
I guess hiring me would be demanding. I can't commute 2.5 hours a day. Just not possible. Relocating to Seneca Falls/Waterloo? That's pretty isolated. On one hand, it would put me closer to the Finger Lakes, and I could choose to fly out of Roc or Syr.
On the other hand, other than the outlet mall... what else is there? :(
I have a number in my mind they would have to offer to get me moved out there.
Matt
President
President

I sent out my resume to a dozen or so agencies/companies last evening. I send the resume out as web links for several reasons. The biggest being so I can control the master copy, updating and fixing centrally as needed. But also because many spam filters will just filter out unsolicited mails with PDF attachments (and my resume is also rather large (300kb+)
Today, I woke up to see my host, Siteground, who has terrible customer service, swapped out the IP address on NYFalls, basically disabling the site and breaking all the links to my resume. They warned me last week, but I figured it wouldn't be a problem because they claimed redirects would take care of it during the transition. Anyways.. bad links to all that checked their e-mail this morning. :angry: :angry:
Brenda
VIP II
VIP II
Camera Model: Canon PowerShot SX20 IS

Matt wrote:On the other hand, other than the outlet mall...what else is there? :(
Seneca Falls is less than an hour from Ithaca, and if you find a place south of Seneca Falls (perhaps on the lake) it's even closer. Personally, I wouldn't live right in Seneca Falls anyway. Many of the wineries are now offering entertainment every weekend as well. Friday nights on the brewdeck at Wagner's is hugely popular, and Americana has bands every Friday evening (pizza night at the cafe) and Sunday afternoon. Two Goats Brewing also has entertainment on a regular basis. You had taken up kayaking at one point. Fuzzy Guppies is located on the Seneca-Cayuga Canal, which is a great place to launch. Kayaking through Montezuma would be awesome! Auburn is only 15 minutes from Seneca Falls as well.
Finger Lakes Mill Creek Cabins
http://www.fingerlakescabins.com
Matt
President
President

My big issue with relocating to a small village is that I could lose the job or leave, and there are going to be zero other opportunities in Seneca Falls for me, thus forcing another relocation. I wouldn't feel like settling permanently there at all--opportunity is just too limiting for my skillset. Especially now that i feel even the most critical employees can be let go unexpectedly.
Commuting a far distance is off the table.

I got rejected from the translation company in Rochester today. No place for me there at this time (after 2 interviews), so if i want to stay in my industry, I have to relocate to NYC or out of state.
Brenda
VIP II
VIP II

No, I didn't think that you'd want to relocate there permanently but so what if you're only there for a couple of years? You're young and free. Why not?
Kelly
Editor
Editor
Camera Model: Canon EOS 50D, EOS 7D Mi & ii, Rebel t3i, Canon M50

pretty sure he's trying to avoid moving his collection of girlie magazines more times than he has to. :roll:
I am strong, because I've been weak.
I am fearless, because I've been afraid.
I am wise, because I've been foolish.

- Unknown

My NYFalls.com Team Page
Scenes from a Public Market
New York Historic
Brenda
VIP II
VIP II

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Matt
President
President

I hate moving. I'm not as young as I look and I have accumulated a large home of stuff. It was a huge expensive effort to get it into an apartment down the road the last time I moved (cost me $1000 +plus about a week to pack it all). I prefer not to keep moving around. If I have to move, I'll probably sell most of it all off, and then I'll just move wherever. If the Seneca Falls job pays enough, I'll lighten and move, but I wouldn't consider settling, especially with companies laying off people in mass quantities these days.
I'm looking into getting my TEFL certification so I can teach English abroad. Teaching in Kuwait, Korea, Japan pays quite a bit. That's a 4 week course in NYC or Chicago +2 grand in tuition. Quite an expense. But a place like Korea... 25 hours of work a week, free room, cheap food, nets about 1k per month and reimburses airfare. It's very tempting if I end up not finding anything here. I'll make that choice come June.

I have a phone interview on thursday morning with a company two blocks over from my office. Funny how the Seneca Falls one wants a face to face when they are explicitly advertising in the Rochester location and not disclosing details about the job, and they MUST KNOW these unemployed people have to drive all the way out there. So where's a good place to eat lunch in Seneca Falls/Waterloo?