I lost my job

The fun forum. Discuss anything here.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

Des219
Senior Guide II
Senior Guide II
Camera Model: Canon 6D

Brenda wrote:
Des219 wrote:Good luck! While you are at it, you should discuss advertising opportunities on NYFalls with Finger Lakes tourism.
I think that there's a time and a place for everything, and soliciting advertising during an interview seems like poor form to me. :shrug:
I agree, but since Matt said they did not have any openings I took it as not an interview and more as an opportunity to discuss local tourism and possibly how to incorporate that into his successful website that targets people that are specifically interested in local attractions.

While on the topic, since you are a business owner in the Finger Lakes area, how do you currently advertise? Do you have any recommendations for Matt to promote his website? Do you think it could be beneficial to businesses like yours?

My thoughts were that people initially end up on the site because they are searching for NY waterfalls. Most likely they want to travel to the falls, and then will need places to eat, sleep, and shop. That is where targeted advertising could be mutually beneficial.
Brenda
VIP II
VIP II
Camera Model: Canon PowerShot SX20 IS

Des219 wrote:While on the topic, since you are a business owner in the Finger Lakes area, how do you currently advertise? Do you have any recommendations for Matt to promote his website? Do you think it could be beneficial to businesses like yours?

My thoughts were that people initially end up on the site because they are searching for NY waterfalls. Most likely they want to travel to the falls, and then will need places to eat, sleep, and shop. That is where targeted advertising could be mutually beneficial.
I can assure you that over the past seven years Matt and I have discussed this at length. Until the site was revamped and I "resigned" from my staff role, my business was featured in a number of places here and I still link Matt on my site. I advertise on a very limited basis now because frankly, I don't have to.
Finger Lakes Mill Creek Cabins
http://www.fingerlakescabins.com
Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

That was such an enlightening meeting. I met most of the staff. They are in a cool office with no walls ... very collaborative, very cool people. Carol is the sunshine of that office-I can tell. Nicole, the president, is extremely knowledgable, and now one of my business and creative idols.
I would work there in a second.

No solid leads but I have a strong ally now. I think we are both hoping to work together on some projects, but I'm still scouting for full-time opportunities promoting travel/tourism here. Time is running out though. I may have to take a private corporate job if i get the opportunity.
Brenda
VIP II
VIP II
Camera Model: Canon PowerShot SX20 IS

I'm so glad that it went well for you! As they say, you can never have enough friends.
Finger Lakes Mill Creek Cabins
http://www.fingerlakescabins.com
Matt
President
President

And here it is... a rare sight
Matt in a suit
Matt in a suit
suit1.jpg (55.36 KiB) Viewed 1971 times
Des219
Senior Guide II
Senior Guide II

Looking serious... wearing a suit is not so bad. Congrats!
Des219
Senior Guide II
Senior Guide II

Brenda, glad that your business is doing so well.
Matt
President
President

I had my first real interview today and I think I did well. No nerves at all. I hope something can work out because the company seems really cool.