Roaring Brook Falls (gore mt)

Adirondack region communities, politics, news, events, happenings.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly, backpacker

backpacker
Board Expert
Board Expert
Camera Model: Nikon D90, D40x, Lenses Nikor 12-24, 18-105 vr, 18-135, 70-300 vr, sigma 150-5oo os

Following the Schaefer trail to the summit of Gore Mountain between mile 1 and 2 you follow a gorge with at least ten waterfalls maybe more. Being I was hiking for the fire tower atop Gore Mt. I didn’t set up and shoot these falls. All pictures were shot handheld thus not as crisp as should be. If anybody wants to shoot these falls let me know I’ll be glad to go back and shoot them.

pictures are not in order
The Mountains are Calling and I must Go John Muir
my flickr gallery
46er interview
hobkyl
Camera Model: Pentax K30

Nice ones Jim...that looks like a refreshing creekwalk!
“There’s an inconsequentiality to our lives that living in the wilderness shows up. Mountain are real, they set their limits, they set ours. They expose us, make us vulnerable and strong at the same time. “
--Alison Wat

Flickr Facebook
backpacker
Board Expert
Board Expert
Camera Model: Nikon D90, D40x, Lenses Nikor 12-24, 18-105 vr, 18-135, 70-300 vr, sigma 150-5oo os

Thanks, not bad for rushed shots

The creek walk was refreshing there is one fall (cascade) that looked quite long, It would take a little investigating to get down to but I’m sure there is a way to reach it.
my flickr gallery
46er interview
L_G_D
Board Expert
Board Expert
Camera Model: Sony Alpha 700

Pretty cool, I'll have to keep that in mind next time I'm up there, never bothered to even look at the trials on Gore.

Later:

Now I'm confused - looking at the maps and the AMC Central Region guide, the Schaefer trail approaches Gore from the Ski Bowl to the east, crosses Roaring Brook and then reaches the summit of Gore, going nowhere near Straight Brook. There is no trail marked for Straight Brook, but there is a jeep trail that looks like it's for maintenance access to the ski lifts on Gore that does parallel Straight Brook.

Are you sure you were on the Schaefer Trail? Or has it been moved since my edition of the trail guide was printed in 2000? ahhhh - a google search says the Schaefer trail was moved, but not to the other side of the mountain along Straight Brook, just the beginning it seems, so I would think this topic should be for Roaring Brook (Gore Mtn), not Straight Brook. I'd add the Gore Mtn designation to keep this Roaring Brook from getting confused with the Roaring Brook on Giant Mtn.

I have some time today so I think I will go over there and check them out. Too sunny for decent shots, but just a scouting expedition.
LGD
Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

Those 'Dacks falls look so much more clean after the green, slimy Finger Lakes ones I have been into this year. I need to really get out there next year. Thanks for posting these.
backpacker
Board Expert
Board Expert

Your welcome I hope to get back their and get them all before winter
my flickr gallery
46er interview
L_G_D
Board Expert
Board Expert
Camera Model: Sony Alpha 700

Got my shots from last Saturday. I didn't have much time to hike, so I only got to the first bridge.

This is definitely Roaring Brook, not Straight Brook, though.

One of the first ones after the stream meets the trail after coming out of the gorge. I think I may try to hike up the stream through the gorge some time, I'm sure there's good stuff along the lower part. There are a few more falls below this, but I didn't have time to get to them, this is the first one right along the trail and easy to get to.

Next a sort of stair step set of falls, not very high total, but nice

Just above the first bridge (I wonder if it's still there after Irene?) is this set. I met a couple fellow photographers there and they had just come down from above and said there are some nice falls above, but I just didn't have time.

This was the Saturday before Irene hit and it was already getting cloudy at noon. I left the next morning and drove home in the rain, though it wasn't too bad, just annoying really. It didn't rain horribly hard, it just rained forever it seemed. Now, I think the 'Dacks are permanently changed in some places. I had plans to be up there in October, and I'll probably still go to visit family, but hiking options may still be severely limited.
LGD
Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

i love the depth in that last shot.. those are the types of compositions i strive for... good shadowing, good depth of field, sharp all the way through... :up: