Roaring Brook Falls (gore mt)

Adirondack region communities, politics, news, events, happenings.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly, backpacker

L_G_D
Board Expert
Board Expert
Camera Model: Sony Alpha 700

Thanks, there's a lot going on there to get into one shot, and I wanted to show all there was as I couldn't hike up there in time to get closer.

f/22 helps too..... all those people who don't go above f/11 because of loss of sharpness due to diffraction are a bit too anal if you ask me. When I want the whole thing to be sharp, what are you supposed to do? Focus stacking and special software I guess.
LGD
backpacker
Board Expert
Board Expert
Camera Model: Nikon D90, D40x, Lenses Nikor 12-24, 18-105 vr, 18-135, 70-300 vr, sigma 150-5oo os

L_G_D wrote:This is definitely Roaring Brook, not Straight Brook, though.
LGD I checked the topo maps and came up with straight brook base on the trail head I'll look into it more
The Mountains are Calling and I must Go John Muir
my flickr gallery
46er interview
L_G_D
Board Expert
Board Expert

backpacker wrote:
L_G_D wrote:This is definitely Roaring Brook, not Straight Brook, though.
LGD I checked the topo maps and came up with straight brook base on the trail head I'll look into it more
Here's a screen grab of the topo with my route marked in red from my downloaded GPS track, and Straight Brook marked in blue.

[img2]http://img148.imageshack.us/img148/4828 ... rtrail.jpg[/img2]

I started at the North Creek town beach parking area as described here http://www.adk.org/Hikes/Schaefer-Gore.aspx - does that sound like the same route you took?
LGD
backpacker
Board Expert
Board Expert
Camera Model: Nikon D90, D40x, Lenses Nikor 12-24, 18-105 vr, 18-135, 70-300 vr, sigma 150-5oo os

LGD your correct that is Roaring Brook, we started at the new trailhead which as I recall was near a beach (not much of a beech). My book also started the trail off ski bowl road. Must have been on the wrong road when I picked straight brook. Correction made to the post and that's a good call to add Gore Mt as to not confuse with roaring brook off Giant Mt.
The Mountains are Calling and I must Go John Muir
my flickr gallery
46er interview
L_G_D
Board Expert
Board Expert

Yeah, my book is also different, but according to that web page, they moved the start of the trail when Gore ski area took over the ski bowl to reopen it for skiing.
LGD