Mossy Cascade Brook

Adirondack region communities, politics, news, events, happenings.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly, backpacker

backpacker
Board Expert
Board Expert
Camera Model: Nikon D90, D40x, Lenses Nikor 12-24, 18-105 vr, 18-135, 70-300 vr, sigma 150-5oo os

This 40 foot waterfall is .75 miles off route 73. The trailhead is on the south side of the bridge that crosses the East Branch off the Ausable River, ½ mile north of the road to the Ausable Club in St. Huberts. The hike in is easy and flat for the most part, it will take 20 to 30 minutes to reach a small sign the points left for the cascade/falls. At the sign you follow the faint trail up the creek to the falls. You’ll climb over or under a couple fallen trees and see the first small waterfall, at this point you can hear the larger fall a mere 100 to 150 feet ahead. Cross the creek near the base of the falls to get the best pictures. In high water flow this would be near impossible to reach.

The lower falls

View from the right side of the creek

Views from the left side of the creek
Top of the Falls

The main falls

The Mountains are Calling and I must Go John Muir
my flickr gallery
46er interview
George
Senior Guide
Senior Guide
Camera Model: Nikon D300, Calumet 4x5

Thanks for the detailed directions. Definitely one to check out
Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

Love them all! And the contrast is superb. Excellent work!
backpacker
Board Expert
Board Expert
Camera Model: Nikon D90, D40x, Lenses Nikor 12-24, 18-105 vr, 18-135, 70-300 vr, sigma 150-5oo os

Matt wrote:Love them all! And the contrast is superb. Excellent work!
Thanks Matt,
was a great day to shoot, set the tripod, high F stop (F11-F20), no filters needed, the waterfall is deep in the pines and a narrow ravine.
my flickr gallery
46er interview
hobkyl
Camera Model: Pentax K30

More :up:
“There’s an inconsequentiality to our lives that living in the wilderness shows up. Mountain are real, they set their limits, they set ours. They expose us, make us vulnerable and strong at the same time. “
--Alison Wat

Flickr Facebook
backpacker
Board Expert
Board Expert

hobkyl wrote:More :up:

Wide view

The bottom

Small falls below the lower falls
my flickr gallery
46er interview
L_G_D
Board Expert
Board Expert
Camera Model: Sony Alpha 700

Nice shots. I just scanned the ones I took a few years ago, a bit less water then. Need to get these linked up to the main page.
LGD
Des219
Senior Guide II
Senior Guide II
Camera Model: Canon 6D

We attempted this falls but I think the sign is no longer there for the turn off. We realized when we got to the part where you cross the creek that we had gone too far. We decided to hike Hopkins Mt. And when we came back I saw a trail leading along the edge to the falls. It was steep and not much to keep you from going over the edge. I did see the falls but not a good enough location and too slippery for a picture. The only good way would be along the creek but we were too tired from the Mt. Hike to tackle the bolders and fallen trees.

Note, they are doing construction on most of the bridges on 73 so the signs marking the water ways were missing. Just look for the one right before St Hubert's sign and park on the small pull off (if heading south east).