Fire Towers

Adirondack region communities, politics, news, events, happenings.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly, backpacker

backpacker
Board Expert
Board Expert
Camera Model: Nikon D90, D40x, Lenses Nikor 12-24, 18-105 vr, 18-135, 70-300 vr, sigma 150-5oo os

Thanks Chris,
This month’s Adirondack Explorer has a similar article about Hurricane and Saint Regis. Trying to reclassify the ½ acre around the towers so they can stay and be repaired by volunteer groups.
The Mountains are Calling and I must Go John Muir
my flickr gallery
46er interview
backpacker
Board Expert
Board Expert
Camera Model: Nikon D90, D40x, Lenses Nikor 12-24, 18-105 vr, 18-135, 70-300 vr, sigma 150-5oo os

Balsam Lake Mountain
Was the home to the first fire tower erected in New York State back in 1887. The first two towers were built of wood and the next two of steel. Thus making the existing tower the forth tower , it was built in 1930 and abandoned in 1988. A grand reopening took place on June 3rd 2000. There are three approaches to this tower one short and steep, one long gentle and one moderate. We opted for the moderate one at 6 miles round trip and an elevation gain of 980 feet, the summit is 3723 feet thus making it a 35er peak too.

For those interested in rocks this huge slab of rock bears the marks from distance shore lines. Elevation I would put around 2000 feet.

A tunnel from the trees and snow

First sign of the tower

The tower

The tower steps........ and yes I climb to the top

The ranger cabin from the top

When nature calls!!

For those who like a little brew with their hiking check this out drink We met the gentalman who started this site 8)
my flickr gallery
46er interview
hobkyl
Camera Model: Pentax K30

I missed this post Jim....another great description and set of photos! :up:
“There’s an inconsequentiality to our lives that living in the wilderness shows up. Mountain are real, they set their limits, they set ours. They expose us, make us vulnerable and strong at the same time. “
--Alison Wat

Flickr Facebook
hobkyl

With video: 86-year-old refurbished fire tower going up in Wilton Wildlife Preserve and Park

http://saratogian.com/articles/2010/12/ ... 895360.txt
“There’s an inconsequentiality to our lives that living in the wilderness shows up. Mountain are real, they set their limits, they set ours. They expose us, make us vulnerable and strong at the same time. “
--Alison Wat

Flickr Facebook
backpacker
Board Expert
Board Expert

Thanks Kyle
I,m beginning to think the catskills are fighting me, the last two trips had little to no view.....
Oh well good reason to return someday.
my flickr gallery
46er interview
backpacker
Board Expert
Board Expert

Tremper Fire tower
After completing this tower we have now completed the 5 towers in the Catskills. Tremper was built around 1917 and was used up to 1975. Left to rot as the other towers Mt. tremper got it’s rebirth in 1999-2000 with a grand reopening June 9th 2001. There are 2 approaches to this tower we opted for the steeper and less mileage (by.2). Trip distance is 3.1 one way with an elevation gain of 2030 feet summit elevation 2740. My wife joined us on this trip, her first hike on snowshoes (top portion only). She was a little sore the next day but had a good time. The weather was great for hiking sunny and mild.

Tremper Tower

Cab is locked

A view with the leanto

The first Leanto less than a mile from the tower

A welcome site

A distance bowl, I'm sure I'll see more of this as I work on the Catskill 35
my flickr gallery
46er interview
hobkyl

Wow another great one Jim! Thanks for sharing this stuff here :)
--Alison Wat

Flickr Facebook
Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

beautiful!