Fire Towers

Adirondack region communities, politics, news, events, happenings.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly, backpacker

backpacker
Board Expert
Board Expert
Camera Model: Nikon D90, D40x, Lenses Nikor 12-24, 18-105 vr, 18-135, 70-300 vr, sigma 150-5oo os

thanks guys,
rattlesnakes not sure on that one but my guess would be no. In the same thought when I started the 35's I ran into two gentelmen that live in the area and hike the cats a lot they're answer to rattlesnakes on the 35's is lessthan 5 peaks might have some.
The Mountains are Calling and I must Go John Muir
my flickr gallery
46er interview
hobkyl
Camera Model: Pentax K30

I thought Lake George area was "common" for them? LGD posted a photo of one in the Champlain area as well.
“There’s an inconsequentiality to our lives that living in the wilderness shows up. Mountain are real, they set their limits, they set ours. They expose us, make us vulnerable and strong at the same time. “
--Alison Wat

Flickr Facebook
backpacker
Board Expert
Board Expert
Camera Model: Nikon D90, D40x, Lenses Nikor 12-24, 18-105 vr, 18-135, 70-300 vr, sigma 150-5oo os

Hey Kyle,
as I said I'm not sure but did check on views from the top, your right Lake Goerge is common in some places, Blake point is listed but not Blake Mountain.

http://www.viewsfromthetop.com/forums/s ... hp?t=13714
my flickr gallery
46er interview
hobkyl

;) oops sorry I missed that part where you said that. All good. I definitely would like to winter hike that area. When did you go that they had that snow?
“There’s an inconsequentiality to our lives that living in the wilderness shows up. Mountain are real, they set their limits, they set ours. They expose us, make us vulnerable and strong at the same time. “
--Alison Wat

Flickr Facebook
backpacker
Board Expert
Board Expert

hobkyl wrote:I definitely would like to winter hike that area. When did you go that they had that snow?

Last friday, Nov. 25th. they must have gotten the snow from wed's storm.
we had no snowshoes, no cramppons and I had no gators. but it was a good hike crampons would have been nice, the snow was to wet for snowshoes.
my flickr gallery
46er interview
backpacker
Board Expert
Board Expert

Spruce Fire Tower
Located west of the town of Corinth this tower is the tallest remaining in the forest preserve. The trail traverses International Paper Company lands that are leased by two hunting clubs. The trail is closed during the deer season and signs are posted. The tower stands 73 feet tall and in need of repair, the lower two flights of stairs has been removed to keep people off the tower. As you hike in and out of preserve land it’s easy to see what the forest would look like without the logging being done. The trail is marked in places and crisscrosses old logging roads. I can see where it would be hard to follow with foliage covering the trees and brush. Behind the tower stands another covered with modern technology, but un-like others this tower is not visible as you view the fire tower. With the completion of Spruce Fire Tower this concludes my Fire Tower Challenge. The one not is this running post is my tribute to Adam’s which is located here. I ask that others who visit these towers will add to my post to see a living history from this point forward!

With over 5,500 views before this post I can see others have enjoyed this as much as me,
Thanks,
Jim

Trail Sign

The approch

The tower

The cab

Looking back
my flickr gallery
46er interview
Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

Excellent!
hobkyl

Pretty cool Jim. Congrats on the Fire Tower Challenge. Whats next for you?
--Alison Wat

Flickr Facebook