Recommendations for a quick weekend trip?

Adirondack region communities, politics, news, events, happenings.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly, backpacker

Khallera
Rookie
Camera Model: Sony CyberShot 5.1 mega pixels

First things first: Thruway 90 east to exit 33 Verona/Rome, then 365 east to Route 8 north, to 30 north, to 28 north to Cedar River Road, follow Cedar River Road to its terminus in 12 miles. This plants you at the Cedar River Flow where an early morning paddle provides greater opportunity for viewing moose, the Moose River Plains Wild Forest/Recreation Area (50,000 acres of state owned land) is also here, along with a section of the Northville-Placid Trail, and the trailhead to Wakely Mountain - the second highest peak in the Central Region, which also boasts the highest fire tower in all the Adirondacks at a whopping 70' (moderate/difficult summit as the guide book describes). Any time after Memorial Day assures full access to all of the above. There is free camping through here, though if staying more than 3 days, need a permit which can be had at the Caretaker Cabin at the terminus of Cedar River Road. Matt, if needing even more specifics, e-mail me and I will get my phone number to you. Chimney Mountain is nearby, Castle Rock, Sawyer, and a paddle across Indian Lake can get you to Baldface. All of these mountains are easier summits to climb if Wakely Mountain may be too much for your crew. Please know these are areas I know like the back of my hand, so simply let me know what is best suiting and I will get you the rest of the details, and perhaps have a sit down with all my maps/guide books, etc to better familiarize yourself before heading up.
HaloGirl
Veteran Board Expert
Veteran Board Expert
Camera Model: Canon PowerShot SX10 IS & Applie iPhone

Since my husband and I don't have family in the area, I suggested we go away for Thanksgiving. Flying that time of year is pricy, so I started thinking about someplace where we could drive that wouldn't be that far. Any thoughts on Lake Placid that time of year? I've never been there. I'm thinking a lakeside hotel would be nice.
hobkyl
Camera Model: Pentax K30

Never been that time of year either....but imagine it would be nice. :up:
“There’s an inconsequentiality to our lives that living in the wilderness shows up. Mountain are real, they set their limits, they set ours. They expose us, make us vulnerable and strong at the same time. “
--Alison Wat

Flickr Facebook
Kelly
Editor
Editor
Camera Model: Canon EOS 50D, EOS 7D Mi & ii, Rebel t3i, Canon M50

Have only been in late spring....but this place would be an excellent place to stay any time of year!
I am strong, because I've been weak.
I am fearless, because I've been afraid.
I am wise, because I've been foolish.

- Unknown

My NYFalls.com Team Page
Scenes from a Public Market
New York Historic
americanhero
Guide
Guide
Camera Model: Canon S95, Canon D10, Nikon D90

I've never been to the Adirondacks so far, but this year I want to spent at least a long weekend in the area.
When is the best time to visit?
I would love to hike, but only the more strenuous ones.
And where should I camp?
I hope someone can help a Newbie like me to find something suitable.

I also thought about winter camping somewhere there, but the only open campground I found is Old Forge camping resort.
Any other ideas, where I should eventually stay in February?
Yvonne Baur Photography

my photo stream on flickr: Yvonne Baur
hobkyl

Yeah! Glad you will make it up there, and am sure you'll enjoy it.

I use these boards to answer many of my questions regarding hiking, camping, lodging, food...etc.

http://www.adkforum.com/showthread.php?t=14721

Also adkhighpeaks.com is also very informative.

It would appear that the Loj is your best bet unless you want to hike out into the wild and set up a tent. From the Loj many hikes could be made. Some strenuous and some not as much. Everything from Marcy to Mt Jo. Beautiful area of the Adirondacks and the majority of the high peaks are centered in this area making a day hike out of multiple peaks or one long hike to Marcy or other ones that are further out. There is also plenty of "flat" hiking around here. A hike out to Avalanche pass is well worth the effort.
“There’s an inconsequentiality to our lives that living in the wilderness shows up. Mountain are real, they set their limits, they set ours. They expose us, make us vulnerable and strong at the same time. “
--Alison Wat

Flickr Facebook
americanhero
Guide
Guide
Camera Model: Canon S95, Canon D10, Nikon D90

hobkyl wrote:Yeah! Glad you will make it up there, and am sure you'll enjoy it.
It was on my bucket list for quite a while, and this year I'll give it a try.
I guess I'll plan for a long weekend in summer with lots of hiking and hopefully can arrange something for February.
hobkyl wrote: I use these boards to answer many of my questions regarding hiking, camping, lodging, food...etc.

http://www.adkforum.com/showthread.php?t=14721

Also adkhighpeaks.com is also very informative.
Thanks a lot, I will have a closer look at this site tonight. That's exactly what I'm looking for.
I was a little bit overwhelmed with all these guide books you can buy in outdoor stores and wasn't sure which one I should take.
hobkyl wrote: It would appear that the Loj is your best bet unless you want to hike out into the wild and set up a tent. From the Loj many hikes could be made. Some strenuous and some not as much. Everything from Marcy to Mt Jo. Beautiful area of the Adirondacks and the majority of the high peaks are centered in this area making a day hike out of multiple peaks or one long hike to Marcy or other ones that are further out. There is also plenty of "flat" hiking around here. A hike out to Avalanche pass is well worth the effort.
Is it allowed to camp in the backcountry or do I need a backcountry permit?
I need it a lot of times when backpacking in the desert Southwest, so I guess here in NY State it'll be the same.
If planning a camping trip is too complicated, I have to look for something affordable.
And hiking in winter, do I need crampons?

Sorry, lots of questions....
Yvonne Baur Photography

my photo stream on flickr: Yvonne Baur
hobkyl

Youre welcome, I know I found them to be of a great help over the years.

If its just you and you dont intend on staying in the same location for a period of more than 3 days.... you dont need a permit to camp in the backcountry. Here is some useful information about camping...

http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/7872.html

In the summer all the campgrounds will be open and you can pick and choose what best fits your needs. There are also equally as many primitive sites and lean tos scattered around the park, which are first come first serve. Due to complaints that Ive read regarding the campgrounds, and my uneasiness of backcountry camping alone, Ive always opted to stay in an affordable room at an outdated motel.

From my understanding, in the winter...the Loj is the only available camping with the exception of backcountry or leantos. Those, however would require hiking out to and setting up-in several feet of snow-that would be cumbersome to say the least. I've never winter camped (although I would like to someday).

When I hike in the winter, I use snowshoes with aggressive crampons. I dont carry additional crampons. You might need them if you were attempting to climb a near vertical face where the snowshoes wouldnt offer enough grabbing power...but for the most part...snowshoes work just fine. Ive been up Marcy, Algonquin, and attempted Colden in just snowshoes.
--Alison Wat

Flickr Facebook