Recommendations for a quick weekend trip?

Adirondack region communities, politics, news, events, happenings.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly, backpacker

Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

I've never been to the Adirondacks.
I was thinking a quick weekend trip this summer would be nice for Shana and I. If time was limited, and knowing she doesn't do outdoors much, where should we go, see and do? And when?

Any easy places to Kayak?
Kelly
Editor
Editor
Camera Model: Canon EOS 50D, EOS 7D Mi & ii, Rebel t3i, Canon M50

Lake Placid for sure! Stay right in town if you can and Mirror Lake is right there! Kayak there or on Lake Placid itself!
I am strong, because I've been weak.
I am fearless, because I've been afraid.
I am wise, because I've been foolish.

- Unknown

My NYFalls.com Team Page
Scenes from a Public Market
New York Historic
Brenda
VIP II
VIP II
Camera Model: Canon PowerShot SX20 IS

I'm a big fan of the Lake George area. Kayaking around the islands would be great.
Finger Lakes Mill Creek Cabins
http://www.fingerlakescabins.com
cbobcat49
Camera Model: Olympus Stylus 400

Julie and I are definitely going to do that hike up from St. Huberts to Lower Ausable Lake that backpacker and I were talking about in a different topic. Looks like it's got about 5 great falls to see along the way and about 7 miles round trip - out and back. Not much elevation gain and loss either. Although I was hoping to find time to climb a mountain. :?
What lies behind us and what lies ahead of us are tiny matters compared to what lives within us. ~Henry David Thoreau
backpacker
Board Expert
Board Expert
Camera Model: Nikon D90, D40x, Lenses Nikor 12-24, 18-105 vr, 18-135, 70-300 vr, sigma 150-5oo os

Matt wrote:Any easy places to Kayak?
Any lake that looks good can be kayaked on. Tupper lake, Saranac Lake, Blue Mt. Lake, Long Lake, Raquette Lake, Fulton Chain Lakes, Indian Lake which is connected to Lewey Lake. Just to name the more popular ones.

cbobcat49 wrote:Although I was hoping to find time to climb a mountain. :?
Chris if you realy want to climb a mountain you have access to Lower Wolfjaw, Upper wolfjaw, Armstrong, Gothics, Sawteeth, Mt. Colvin, Dial. About the only one you could tie in with the waterfalls (in the same day) is Sawteeth. It's about 1.75 miles from rainbow falls (3.5 rt) with a gental elevation gain of about 2100 feet. Not a great view from the top but it does overlook Lower Ausable Lake. (I did it in the winter thus summer view may be restricted). Fish Hawk Cliffs on the other side of Lower Ausable has a nice view looking up the lake and towards the lower range. Not a Mountain but a nice view from what I've heard. It's about 3/4 miles from the bridge at the end of the lake.
backpacker
The Mountains are Calling and I must Go John Muir
my flickr gallery
46er interview
cbobcat49
Camera Model: Olympus Stylus 400

Well Julie and I just got back from an amazing long weekend in the adirondacks. Saw Rainbow Falls, Beaver Meadow Falls, and Wedge Brook Falls on the way up from St. Huberts. Went to the Wild Center, which was cool, and saw an impressive ribbon waterfall spilling off a mountain along route 73. As soon as I get photos organized I'll post some. (It may be a few weeks or so.) Matt... would you like me to create separate topics for those falls that way you can link to them from your database?

Chris
What lies behind us and what lies ahead of us are tiny matters compared to what lives within us. ~Henry David Thoreau
backpacker
Board Expert
Board Expert
Camera Model: Nikon D90, D40x, Lenses Nikor 12-24, 18-105 vr, 18-135, 70-300 vr, sigma 150-5oo os

Glad to here you had a good time, looking forward to seeing your pictures.
I'm on my way to Alaska tomorrow.
Will check in if any of our stops have a free net café
The Mountains are Calling and I must Go John Muir
my flickr gallery
46er interview
Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

Chris, Sounds like a wonderful time you had. Yes, if you create unique topics in the Waterfall section, I will link them in from the main index. thanks, and looking forward to you photos!