Pictures of the Adirondacks

Adirondack region communities, politics, news, events, happenings.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly, backpacker

L_G_D
Board Expert
Board Expert
Camera Model: Sony Alpha 700

lol, no, there is no hiking dress code, and I may have made it sound a bit more stuffy than it is. For the most part, you won't see any club members once you leave the tennis court area, except maybe at the lake. And unless they mention it, you wouldn't know otherwise for the most part.

Having said that, the Niagara area is a great place too, but just a different experience.
LGD
Des219
Senior Guide II
Senior Guide II
Camera Model: Canon 6D

Chris, this was one of my favorite places too. Thanks for sharing it. The water was much lower than what your pictures show. We ended up doing 12 miles. I forgot to turn on my camera's GPS until we were around the beaver meadows but the GPS showed that we had a change in elevation of about 700 ft. Probably more like 1000 since Rainbow falls would most likely have been the highest point that we were at and the parking lot would have been the lowest, neither of which I recorded.

Twice the trail collapsed out from under me. The first time I fell to the ground and I think I injured my knees from that. We were on a section where the trail is several inches wide and soil was soft. It was also where the trail was maybe 100 ft above the river. Sort of a scary experience but thankfully I felt it happening and fell towards the mountain and not away from it. The downside is the rest of the trip my knees were aching. They still are.
L_G_D
Board Expert
Board Expert
Camera Model: Sony Alpha 700

Glad to hear you had a good time. Strange though about the trail problems, usually they are very well maintained in that area.
LGD
cbobcat49
Camera Model: Olympus Stylus 400

Twice the trail collapsed out from under me.
:shock:

Glad you're ok! I remember how close to the edge of the gorge that trail was!
What lies behind us and what lies ahead of us are tiny matters compared to what lives within us. ~Henry David Thoreau
Des219
Senior Guide II
Senior Guide II

Thanks for the concern. The trails were maintained pretty well, just some parts are quite narrow and the soil is soft and loose.

Do either of you know what is going on in the river?
Attachments
20130823-IMG_1048.jpg
20130823-IMG_1048.jpg (708.91 KiB) Viewed 6932 times
Des219
Senior Guide II
Senior Guide II

A picture of Lower Ausable Lake
Attachments
20130823-IMG_1056.jpg
20130823-IMG_1056.jpg (652.05 KiB) Viewed 6929 times
hobkyl
Camera Model: Pentax K30

Des219 wrote:Thanks for the concern. The trails were maintained pretty well, just some parts are quite narrow and the soil is soft and loose.

Do either of you know what is going on in the river?
Most likely streambed reconstruction from the aftermath of Hurricane Irene.

Great pics!
“There’s an inconsequentiality to our lives that living in the wilderness shows up. Mountain are real, they set their limits, they set ours. They expose us, make us vulnerable and strong at the same time. “
--Alison Wat

Flickr Facebook
Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

Love the pic of the lake. Got any more from your trip?