Watkins: Finalist for America's Coolest Small Towns

The fun forum. Discuss anything here.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

Watkins Glen, NY named a finalist for 'America's Coolest Small Towns' contest
Budget Travel Magazine is looking for the coolest of "America's Coolest Small Towns" and Watkins Glen, New York, has been named a finalist.

After 924 nominations and 96,605 votes, the town located in the Finger Lakes region made the list of 15 finalists for the publication's eighth annual "Coolest Small Town in America" contest. According to the contest criteria, the towns all have populations under 10,000 -- Watkins Glen has 1,859 residents; another finalist has just 138 people -- and have a certain something else to make it "cool," such as independent shops, culture or local attractions.
more here:
http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.ssf/ ... ravel.html

Although Watkins is great.. I spent a long weekend there in 2009 and underwhelmed with shopping/dining options to stuff a whole weekend--talking specifically within the village (the "town" is actually Montour). I guess if you consider it a hub for a greater Finger Lakes stay it's in a better position.

There's got to be plenty more places in NY alone that offers up more. Skaneateles being one that comes to mind.
Des219
Senior Guide II
Senior Guide II
Camera Model: Canon 6D

Lititz, won. Not sure I would say it is the best. It does smell like chocolate (not the southern part where I live though).
hobkyl
Camera Model: Pentax K30

Hmm I'd have to disagree. Watkins offer way more than last years winner. I stayed there last month and had no problem window browsing for several hours. Then we had some absolutely delicious BBQ at Nickels Pit BBQ. I'm not a huge fan of craft beers, but they had a nice selection of beer brewed right there by Rooster Fish. They have all the small shops covered with the added "convenience" of Walmart, Tops, DD, and Burger King. Hiking whether touristy or off the beaten path is well covered. Within a half hour drive options for virtually everything unfold. Add to all of that...kayak rentals and tours, a marina, multiple campgrounds, dinner cruises, museums, and the chance to drive your family minivan at 70 mph around a NASCAR track for less than the cost to take the family to the movies...I'd say WG is definitely a worthy contender as a small town.

Maybe I haven't been to Skaneateles in awhile, but I think you'd be hard pressed to find more to do there than the glen. Once you got bored with the shops and restaurants...there's really not much more to do.
“There’s an inconsequentiality to our lives that living in the wilderness shows up. Mountain are real, they set their limits, they set ours. They expose us, make us vulnerable and strong at the same time. “
--Alison Wat

Flickr Facebook
Des219
Senior Guide II
Senior Guide II
Camera Model: Canon 6D

I enjoyed Rooster Fish, and am a big fan of microbrews. It is a nice place to visit, but not my top choice to live. I'm sure Watkins natives would disagree with Matt and I.
Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

I stayed in watkins a few years back when they first opened that hotel, which was not bad at all. I didn't find much i the way of shops and places to eat. What am i missing? I want to head there sometime in august for an overnight.