Where to go? Finger Lakes visitors

The fun forum. Discuss anything here.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

I will be hosting a friend (from China) for two weeks next summer.
I would love to make sure I cover all the good stuff the Finger Lakes region has (also creating topics for Rochester, Adirondacks, and Buffalo)
If you were hosting someone from outside the country and you wanted to impress them, where would you take them?
hobkyl
Camera Model: Pentax K30

Waterfalls. A drive around a lake or lakes, or kayak/canoe/boat a lake. Wineries. Montezuma.
“There’s an inconsequentiality to our lives that living in the wilderness shows up. Mountain are real, they set their limits, they set ours. They expose us, make us vulnerable and strong at the same time. “
--Alison Wat

Flickr Facebook
Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

With limited time, I think the waterfalls to see would be
Watkins Glen, eating on the lake at Harbor Station, which a short drive to Havana Glen
Then to Taughannock, and on the way stopping at the Cayuga Lake Creamery for some homemade ice cream.

What is the best winery to visit on the Finger Lakes (as far as big and many things to do)?
Brenda
VIP II
VIP II
Camera Model: Canon PowerShot SX20 IS

Wagner's has tours, the microbrewery, and wines that you would like (waaay too sweet for me). Don't get me wrong, they do have one or two that I can drink as well.
Finger Lakes Mill Creek Cabins
http://www.fingerlakescabins.com
ApproachingLight
Board Expert
Board Expert

Maybe Keuka lake wine tour. Or...

When visiting Niagra on the lake, the super sweet Ice Wine harvested this time of year (late at night) was hugely popular with foreigners from Japan (and China?). Could get in the big falls also.

Icewine

Authentic Icewine is made from grapes that are left on the vine after the final harvest. When temperatures dip to -8°C (or lower) the solidly frozen grapes are handpicked and pressed immediately to gently release a thick, rich, yellow-gold liquid, highly concentrated in natural sugars and acidity. The yield is small, but the result is a sumptuous and perfectly sweet wine that’s a dessert in itself.