Finger Lakes Beer - Rate 'em as you drink 'em

The fun forum. Discuss anything here.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

Just like our wine topic... post your thoughts on the Finger Lakes brews you try. No number scale is needed, but go ahead and rate on a scale of 1-10 if you do. Please post the brewery name and link to their website.
Brenda
VIP II
VIP II
Camera Model: Canon PowerShot SX20 IS

I'm not a beer drinker, but I still love Two Goat Brewing! If I lived just a wee bit closer it could easily become my "neighborhood bar." The view is amazing, the atmosphere is very cool and they have great entertainment! Plus, it's where all of the winery folks hang out after a day of serving the tourists. 8)
Finger Lakes Mill Creek Cabins
http://www.fingerlakescabins.com
cbobcat49
Camera Model: Olympus Stylus 400

Whenever I'm in the Ithaca area I try to make a pilgramage to the Ithaca Beer Co.
Their Pale Ale is amazing and I'll give that a 10/10.
Nut Brown and Apricot Wheat and Gorges Smoked Porter are all very good. (8/10)
They have an ale called Cascazilla which is the most hoppy beverage I've ever tasted.

Chris
What lies behind us and what lies ahead of us are tiny matters compared to what lives within us. ~Henry David Thoreau
hobkyl
Camera Model: Pentax K30

Stayed the weekend at Taughannock Falls SP, and decided to sample a beer that the Byrne Dairy in Trumansburg sold in a 24oz bottle.

Chemung Canal Tow Path Ale

I'd give it a 5/10. I couldnt put my finger on which beer it tasted like, but it had a familiar taste-that I have tasted once before.
“There’s an inconsequentiality to our lives that living in the wilderness shows up. Mountain are real, they set their limits, they set ours. They expose us, make us vulnerable and strong at the same time. “
--Alison Wat

Flickr Facebook
hobkyl
Camera Model: Pentax K30

Stopped into JB Quimbys after the Rattlers game and had a Three Heads Brewery Blimey English Style Pale Ale.....1/10. Not a fan of bitter beer.
“There’s an inconsequentiality to our lives that living in the wilderness shows up. Mountain are real, they set their limits, they set ours. They expose us, make us vulnerable and strong at the same time. “
--Alison Wat

Flickr Facebook
Jconhead1
Rookie

I noticed that there are plenty of good breweries springing up around the Finger Lakes area the past couple of years. It wouldn't surprise me if that area in the near future is known for it's beer just as well as for its wine. Check out Wagner Valley in Lodi if you like the dark, sweet stuff, and Roosterfish in Watkins Glen if you like the bitter. Naked Dove is around that area too, and while I haven't had much of their stuff yet, they seem to be garnering a lot of attention. You can probably find their beers on tap in bars around the Rochester area. Ithaca's not a bad spot for beer if you feel like taking a small detour. The Ithaca Brewery is small, and the tasting room has short hours, but I'm pretty sure it's free to try different samples. Besides, I think they are in the process of expanding, maybe opening up a brewpub. My guess is that if they do, it'll probably be one of the best in the country. Another interesting place in Ithaca is Bandwagon brewing. They do a bunch of small one-off batches that are very unique, including a peanut butter and chocolate stout, a black pepper porter, and a raspberry jalapeno ale. A little further outside Ithaca is Horseheads brewing in Horseheads, NY. I think they're one of the best breweries in the state. I have no idea how exciting the brewpub is, having never visited, but it may well be worth a trip based on their product alone. If you're going around Fall, pick up a few bottles of their spiced pumpkin ale and save them for Thanksgiving.
Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

The D&C recently profiled some Finger Lakes breweries in this interesting article:
http://www.democratandchronicle.com/app ... 1107170310