Three days in Ithaca/Cortland area - what to see?

The fun forum. Discuss anything here.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

lightphoto
Rookie
Camera Model: Canon 30D

Hey gang. After 3 years of photographing waterfalls in the Catskills & Gunks, I'm finally going to make it over to the Ithaca area this weekend (April 22-25)

I've only got 3 days (arriving Friday afternoon, heading out Monday afternoon), so I want to know which falls, gorges & glens I should definitely not miss.

The places that are definitely on my list for the weekend:

- A day in Ithaca doing Ithaca Falls, Ithaca Gorge & Cascadilla Gorge
- Taughannock Falls
- Robert Treman State Park & Lucifer Falls
- Watkins Glen

I might have time for one or two other short hikes, depending on the weather - what should I add to my list? Tinker Falls? Filmore Glen? Buttermilk Falls? Carpenter Falls?

Hopefully this will be the first of many tripos to the area. Also, would love some suggestions on places where hungry hikers can eat in the area.

Also, if anyone in the area is up for some hiking and photographing this weekend, send me an email: [email protected]

Thanks
Colin D. Young
[email protected]
www.Zhibit.org/LightPhoto
hobkyl
Camera Model: Pentax K30

Hi Colin...welcome aboard.

If you're heading over to Watkins...there is Havana/Eagle Cliff Glen, Hector, Shequaga, Aunt Sarah's, and Deckertown Creek all within 20 minutes of the village. Hector, Shequaga, and Aunt Sarah's are all roadside falls. Havana, and Deckertown are short easy walks to the main falls.

Just north of Ithaca is Ludlowville Falls, easy viewing from a park.

Buttermilks main falls are viewable from below without entering the park. More falls viewable if you decide to park and make the hike up.

Lick Brook is nearby...steep hiking.

The rest of those you mentioned are good as well...but there are plenty in the area that you will be in for the weekend.

All the falls I mentioned are listed and have threads for them on here. Any questions just ask.
“There’s an inconsequentiality to our lives that living in the wilderness shows up. Mountain are real, they set their limits, they set ours. They expose us, make us vulnerable and strong at the same time. “
--Alison Wat

Flickr Facebook
hobkyl
Camera Model: Pentax K30

Great website by the way! And sorry I don't have any good recommendations for food in that area...Ithaca has pretty much anything you'd want though.
“There’s an inconsequentiality to our lives that living in the wilderness shows up. Mountain are real, they set their limits, they set ours. They expose us, make us vulnerable and strong at the same time. “
--Alison Wat

Flickr Facebook
Brenda
VIP II
VIP II
Camera Model: Canon PowerShot SX20 IS

Hi Colin! Welcome to the community! Ithaca does have about any cuisine that you could possibly imagine. A couple of highlights would be Moosewood Restaurant which is world famous for its vegetarian cuisine, and The Boatyard Grill which has a lovely waterfront location.

Bear in mind that the gorge at Watkins Glen isn't open yet, if you plan to make a jaunt over this way. Hector Falls is very cool in itself though, along with the other falls that Kyle suggested. While several of my favorite restaurants outside of Ithaca have yet to open for the season (the weekend after your visit, of course), the Red Newt Bistro in Hector is open for both lunch and dinner and they have some very good wines and an awesome view! A bit farther up the lake in the midst of the wine trail is Dano's, which also has a spectacular view. They are also open for both lunch and dinner.
Finger Lakes Mill Creek Cabins
http://www.fingerlakescabins.com
lightphoto
Rookie
Camera Model: Canon 30D

Brenda - thanks for the tip on Watkins Glen. When does the gorge open for the season? I guess I should save that for another trip.
Brenda
VIP II
VIP II
Camera Model: Canon PowerShot SX20 IS

Every time that I have called to ask, they are somewhat evasive about an exact date. That's because weather permitting, they have to repel the walls of the gorge to remove any loose stones before they can open for the season. They are always open by Memorial Day, but it could be a few weeks earlier. I would just call before you make the trip. You always want to get there as early in the day as possible, before the crowds arrive, unless you don't mind people in your photos.

I totally forgot about another great restaurant between Ithaca and Taughannock Falls! The Glenwood Pines is always good and they have nice views of Cayuga Lake from their back diningroom.
Finger Lakes Mill Creek Cabins
http://www.fingerlakescabins.com
cbobcat49
Camera Model: Olympus Stylus 400

I totally forgot about another great restaurant between Ithaca and Taughannock Falls! The Glenwood Pines is always good and they have nice views of Cayuga Lake from their back diningroom.
:yum: Julie and I always try to stop there for dinner on the way home after a day trip to the Ithaca area.
What lies behind us and what lies ahead of us are tiny matters compared to what lives within us. ~Henry David Thoreau