Rochester Cuisine

The fun forum. Discuss anything here.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

Hot sauce, Boss sauce, Lafrois Sauce
All sauces they serve up at diners and grills in the region.
You can't even buy Lafrois at retail.... its purely food service... and I have tasted it on BBQ beef sandwiches at nearly a dozen diners across Rochester.
Kelly
Editor
Editor
Camera Model: Canon EOS 50D, EOS 7D Mi & ii, Rebel t3i, Canon M50

Why You Should Absolutely Eat Something Called A 'Garbage Plate'

If you ask someone from Rochester, NY, what a Garbage Plate is, they'll probably make you eat one. Although the name isn't particularly appetizing on its own, you should know that the word 'garbage' here refers simply to abundance and variety, and there is no actual garbage involved. Imagine being in college, after a few too many celebratory drinks, rolling into your local greasy spoon, and asking the waitress for "one of those plates with all the garbage on it." That's how the Garbage Plate was born.

Garbage Plates are the number one reason that hangovers barely stand a chance in Rochester. They consist of a foundation of baked beans and macaroni salad with either home fries or French fries. On top, a choice of two: cheeseburger, hamburger, red hots, white hots, Italian sausage, chicken tender, haddock, fried ham, grilled cheese, or eggs. The crown jewel on this mountain of food: onions, mustard and Nick's signature hot sauce -- which is a ground meat chili like you'd get on a Michigan-style Coney dog. There are varying opinions on how to eat a Garbage Plate, but the conventional wisdom is that it should be done quickly, with plenty of ketchup.

Although there are many different garbage plates in Rochester, and variations across America, the general agreement is that the garbage plate was invented at Nick Tahou Hots.

The rest with pictures here:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/02/2 ... 54514.html
I am strong, because I've been weak.
I am fearless, because I've been afraid.
I am wise, because I've been foolish.

- Unknown

My NYFalls.com Team Page
Scenes from a Public Market
New York Historic
Matt
President
President

I never met anyone that admitted to actually enjoying a garbage plate. I'm convinced it's all pride talk.
cbobcat49
Camera Model: Olympus Stylus 400

I never met anyone that admitted to actually enjoying a garbage plate. I'm convinced it's all pride talk.
*raises hand* :)
What lies behind us and what lies ahead of us are tiny matters compared to what lives within us. ~Henry David Thoreau
Kelly
Editor
Editor
Camera Model: Canon EOS 50D, EOS 7D Mi & ii, Rebel t3i, Canon M50

Never had one. Probably never will.
What I CAN say is that after being exposed to the show Man v. Food for the first time - Rochester should be ashamed that this is the food they are most proud of. Sure, all the dishes featured on there are a glutton's delight - and surely filled with a full 6 month calorie allotment in one meal - but they are a lot more interesting and presented way better than that pile of garbage.

Crap. Now I'm hungry.
I am strong, because I've been weak.
I am fearless, because I've been afraid.
I am wise, because I've been foolish.

- Unknown

My NYFalls.com Team Page
Scenes from a Public Market
New York Historic
Matt
President
President

Rochester/Buffalo/Syracuse cuisine, to me, just seems like the shit you get at carnivals.

There was an "Upstate" restaurant (and oyster bar) in the East village that I passed by last week. I didn't see why it would be called "Upstate"
Despite having a map of upstate... and Roc/Buff/Syr/Utica/Alb stuff all over, the menu... predominately seafood? ummm
http://upstatenyc.com/eat/
Matt
President
President

The selection here has grown quite a bit over the years

https://www.nystyledeli.com
Matt
President
President