Buffalo Cuisine

The fun forum. Discuss anything here.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

Are there any dishes that are particularly "Buffalo"?

I can think of the obvious "Buffalo Wings"
Buffalo wings were first prepared at the Anchor Bar by Teressa Belissimo, who owned the bar along with her husband Frank. Upon the unannounced, late-night arrival of their son, Dominic, with several of his friends from college, Teressa needed a fast and easy snack to present to her hungry guests. It was then that she came up with the idea of deep frying chicken wings (normally thrown away or reserved for stock) and tossing them in cayenne hot sauce

Sponge Candy... maybe.. I think it originates in the UK, where is called honeycomb toffee, but the chocolate-covered bricks maybe something centered in buffalo or southern Ontario.
cbobcat49
Camera Model: Olympus Stylus 400

Sponge candy is the most disgusting "candy" ever invented.
The Anchor Bar is a must whenever visiting Buffalo. The best wings in town. Don't let anyone try to say Duff's are better. I'm pretty sure their sauce is just tabasco sauce mixed with butter.

Anchor Bar also features live jazz on Friday and Saturday nights.

Buffalo is also known for "beef on weck". (roast beef sandwich on a kimmelweck roll) Swiston's in Tonawanda is the best.
http://swistons.com/
Don’t ask for a menu. There isn’t one. The restaurant’s full name is Swiston’s Beef & Keg, and that’s about all you get a roast beef sandwich and chili. That’s the way it’s been for more than half of a century, and that’s the way it’s likely going to stay. In case you haven’t been there within the past 50 years, your decisions will consist of the following: plain roll or kimmelweck, and what to drink — beer, liquor, pop or water. And oh yeah, help yourself to fresh popcorn by the basket full. Hope to see you soon!
What lies behind us and what lies ahead of us are tiny matters compared to what lives within us. ~Henry David Thoreau
Matt
President
President

cbobcat49 wrote:Sponge candy is the most disgusting "candy" ever invented.
:pfft:
hobkyl
Camera Model: Pentax K30

Sponge candy? Never heard of that.
“There’s an inconsequentiality to our lives that living in the wilderness shows up. Mountain are real, they set their limits, they set ours. They expose us, make us vulnerable and strong at the same time. “
--Alison Wat

Flickr Facebook
Kelly
Editor
Editor
Camera Model: Canon EOS 50D, EOS 7D Mi & ii, Rebel t3i, Canon M50

I thought Oliver's in Batavia invented it. Guess not.
I am strong, because I've been weak.
I am fearless, because I've been afraid.
I am wise, because I've been foolish.

- Unknown

My NYFalls.com Team Page
Scenes from a Public Market
New York Historic
Matt
President
President

It definitely was not invented in the USA, but i think the thick chocolate covered variety, and certainly the flavored versions are insanely popular in Buffalo.
Kelly
Editor
Editor
Camera Model: Canon EOS 50D, EOS 7D Mi & ii, Rebel t3i, Canon M50

Oliver'scalls it "unique to Western NY."

:star: :star: :star: :star: :star: Absolutely Delicious!
by a member from London, UK on Nov 12, 2009
I grew up in Western NY, and one of the things that I look forward to when come back to the US is this sponge candy! Oliver's sponge candy is the best I've ever tasted (and I'm well traveled!) :) Try it yourself, you'll see.
Chris, what's not to like? :confused:
I am strong, because I've been weak.
I am fearless, because I've been afraid.
I am wise, because I've been foolish.

- Unknown

My NYFalls.com Team Page
Scenes from a Public Market
New York Historic
Matt
President
President

Well, Oliver's candy is far from decent. Their melted wholesale chocolate wafers are a slight step up from drugstore Palmer's brand Chocolate.
The best sponge in Rochester is actually a buffalo establishment in Bushnell's Basin: Watsons. Coming from someone who has tried them all.

Second best... Stever's on Park.

In Buffalo... although there are a few shops I haven't gotten to. Antoinette's Sweets on Transit Rd is an old fashioned sweet shop with amazing sponge.