President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

wait... what incident?
Brenda
VIP II
VIP II
Camera Model: Canon PowerShot SX20 IS

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to be unclear. The incident that I was referring to was the segment itself. Good Morning America has yet to even acknowledge the public outcry about how inappropriate/irresponsible producing and airing the segment was. There was not one single comment on their Shout Out Board that was positive about the piece (and there were many comments). In the initial post on this thread where the puppies were gassed, the puppy mill owner was selling puppies to pet stores downstate. That's where the money is. It really doesn't matter where the puppies came from in the GMA piece. They undoubtedly came from puppy mills somewhere.
Finger Lakes Mill Creek Cabins
http://www.fingerlakescabins.com
Brenda
VIP II
VIP II

Here are a couple of guys who "get it."
First, the state vegetable debate, now the state dog
5:47 PM, Apr. 21, 2011
Written by
Joseph Spector

Albany - The state has plenty of watchdogs, but no state dog.

That may soon change.

Sen. Joseph Robach, R-Greece, Monroe County, and Assemblyman Micah Kellner, D-Manhattan, announced legislation Thursday to make the rescue dog -- referring to dogs that have been adopted from shelters --New York's official dog.

It's the latest attempt to name a new state symbol. The debate is still raging over whether to name the onion or sweet corn as the state's vegetable. (An unscientific poll on Facebook by the state FarmBureau this month found corn as the overwhelming favorite.)

But Kellner and Robach said their bill is more than just bark. Naming the state dog as the rescue dog would raise awareness on the importance of adopting stray animals and keeping the pet population under control.

"I think this would just promote adoptions, the importance of spaying and neutering, and humane education," said Robach, who said he has two dogs that he got through a rescue organization.

With Robach, a Republican, and Kellner, a Democrat, the lawmakers said they are hopeful the bipartisan support will help make the bill into law.

While some states have state dogs -- Massachusetts has the Boston Terrier, for example -- New York would be the first to designate a whole class of dogs, Kellner said.

"Other states have done breeds, but what we're trying to do is encourage people if they want to get a dog, don't go to a pet store. Go to your local rescue group, go to your local shelter," Kellner said. "There is a perfect dog there for you."

Read more here: http://www.theithacajournal.com/apps/pb ... 1104210365
Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

I'm very against these designer dogs and puppy mills, and pets for pleasure purposes.
So many people are buying pets, because "they are cute" and they "want to hug and kiss it" and they have no idea where this breed comes from and how in-bread these animals can get. They don't have the means, understanding or money to care for the pet if it gets sick, and all they want is a form of living entertainment.
If you want to do good for an animal, rescue one that some jerk already hurt and do it for companionship and out of the kindness of your heart, not because it is a living teddy bear! That's what's wrong with these young pet people nowadays... and I'm saying this because I met someone that dyed their pet's hair like a panda!
Brenda
VIP II
VIP II

The pet stores play on peoples' sympathies. When I worked for the local vet, I can't tell you how many times we had young women come in with their cute little pet store puppies only to leave in tears because the vet discovered a congenital defect/disease that would cost thousands to repair/cure, if even possible. People just need to boycott pet stores that sell puppies and kittens--period.

The whole designer dog thing makes me sick. They're mutts. The breeders can attach whatever phony registry letters to their puppies that they want to make people think that they're buying a "new breed," but the fact remains that they are still mutts. People are so much better off adopting a mutt from a shelter. The dog's a lot more likely to be healthy, and it will cost a lot less.
Brenda
VIP II
VIP II

I follow Rescue Ink (along with numerous other rescue groups) on Facebook. I took the following from an announcement for a puppy mill awareness day that is scheduled in TX later this year.

"Today I went home. I shook as I was touched by human hands for the first time. I cowered as the wire kennel, the only place I knew, faded into the distance. I whimpered in fear as you whispered lovingly into my ears and gently stroked my head.
Today, for the first time, I felt you. I felt the warmth of your skin and the steady rhythm of your breath as you held me tight. I felt peace in your calm embrace.
Today, for the first time, I felt love."
........................... ................ Stephanie Conrad, The Pet Studio