Ovid Store Robbed At Gunpoint

The fun forum. Discuss anything here.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

Brenda
VIP II
VIP II
Camera Model: Canon PowerShot SX20 IS

I know that you city folk are pretty much accustomed to this sort of thing happening, but it never happens out here. My aunt and uncle owned this gas station/store for years. The couple who own it now are the third(?) to have purchased it since my uncle died. I guess that this happened right as the husband was opening yesterday morning. It's really unsettling. I feel terrible for them.
Gas station robbed at gunpoint
10/19/2008 04:40 PM
By: Web Staff

SENECA COUNTY, N.Y. -- Seneca County Sheriff's Detectives are investigating an armed robbery in the town of Ovid. It happened at about 8 a.m. at the Happy Landing gas station on Route 96.

Investigators say a person entered the store, showed the clerk a gun and got away with an undisclosed amount of cash.

The Sheriff's office is asking anyone that may have seen something call them at (315) 220-3240.
http://news10now.com/default.aspx?ArID=126332
Finger Lakes Mill Creek Cabins
http://www.fingerlakescabins.com
Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

hmmm.. where were you around that time Brenda? :police:
Brenda
VIP II
VIP II

The same place that I always am on Sunday morning around 8:00--watching the oven timer. :lol:

The thing is that it doesn't seem random to me. The store is pretty much in the middle of nowhere, even though it is right on 96. I would think that it was someone from between the lakes, who at the very least passes by there on a regular basis. :shrug: It sounds as if there was some confusion about the vehicle initially (SUV vs. pick-up), which could have been because the owner was so shaken and doesn't speak English all that clearly. The kicker is that, from what I understand, he and his wife ran a store in NYC for a number of years and never had a problem.
Brenda
VIP II
VIP II

Well, it didn't take long!

Arrests made in Ovid armed robbery

Press Release
10/24/08

Sheriff Jack Stenberg reports that the Seneca County Sheriff’s Office have arrested two people on several charges as a result of an investigation into the armed robbery of the Happy Landing convenience store on Route 96 in the Town of Ovid.

On Sunday, 10/19/08 at about 7:40am the Happy Landing Convenience store was robbed at gunpoint by a suspect armed with a long gun. The suspect, whose face was covered, pointed the gun at the owner and demanded money. He then left the scene with the store cash tray driving a light colored pick up truck. About $500 in currency and coins were taken. Sheriff’s Deputies and Investigators responded to the scene. Tire mark evidence was documented and video evidence was gleaned from the store’s video security system. Officers canvassed the area. The cash tray was recovered from a back road in the Town of Covert and is being processed for evidence.

On 10/22/08 the truck used in the crime was located in the City of Ithaca. Sheriff’s Investigators responded and were assisted by the Ithaca Police Department. The truck was secured and processed. Hair, fingerprints, a coin from the robbery and possible DNA evidence were collected and are being analyzed. Witnesses were located and interviewed on 10/22/08 continuing into 10/23/08. The gunman was identified as: Paul J “P.J.” Weber, age 29 of 8612 Lodi Covert Townline Road Interlaken.

On 10/23/08, at about 1:30pm Weber was taken into custody at a Town of Lodi residence without incident.

Weber has been charged with Robbery in the First Degree, Menacing in the Second degree and Petit Larceny. He was arraigned in the Town of Covert Court and committed to the Seneca County Correctional Facility without bail.

Also charged was a female involved in the commission of the Robbery: Joy L. Coil, age 34 of 308 West Seneca Street Apartment 8 Ithaca NY. Coil was in the truck with Weber at the time of the Robbery and assisted with the crime. She was arrested at about 12:00pm on 10/23/08 without incident. She was charged with Robbery first degree and Petit Larceny. She was also arraigned in the Town of Covert Court and was committed to the Seneca County Correctional Facility without bail.

The vehicle involved was not owned by the suspects but was borrowed. The owner’s name is not being released at this time.

The Ithaca Police Department rendered invaluable assistance with locating the vehicle involved and witnesses. The New York State Police Video Enhancement Unit in Albany rendered valuable technical assistance with processing the video evidence.

The investigation into this crime is continuing…