Gold in the Finger Lakes?

The fun forum. Discuss anything here.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

cbobcat49
Camera Model: Olympus Stylus 400

http://www.theithacajournal.com/apps/pb ... 002/NEWS01
Creeks that flow through deep ravines into Seneca and Cayuga lakes have caught the attention of Jack Zammett, a 70-year-old Ovid retiree.

His buddies are eyeing other creeks involving Keuka Lake. They contend that the cracks and crevices in the stream beds hide leaves of gold. And possibly even some nuggets.

“People think I'm crazy,” Zammett said of those he approaches for permission to cross their property to reach a stream where he intends “to pan for gold.” If they are doubters, Zammett hauls glass vials from his equipment bag.

Into his second year of “panning,” Zammett has gold leaves he says are worth some $450. He proudly displays his catch and keeps hoping he'll add a nugget any day now. “Wouldn't that be something? Well, you never know.”

Sean McElroy of Bath is a believer. “I'm the new guy on the block,” he says as four men gather on a recent Sunday for a try at finding gold in a stream just north of Valois.

Success in a stream emptying into Keuka Lake, McElroy says, “was just enough to give us gold fever.” His wife, Melissa, nods in agreement. Samantha, their two-year-old daughter, is along for the Sunday outing with her very own pan and shovel.

Also there are Dan Miller of Caton, with a “little bit of gold” over a span of five years, and a three-year veteran of panning, Don Cushing of Horseheads is another believer. He looks the part of a prospector, a backpack bulging with equipment.

“What I need now,” he laughs, “is a pack mule.”

Cracks in the bedrock of streams and areas underneath tiny spillways are considered key locales for gold. Gravel is removed with a shovel or some other device, dumped into a pan and carefully sloshed around. The panning operation allows sand, gravel and stones to fall free of the pan.

Zammett likes to see black sand remaining in his pan. That is where gold leaves show every now and then and where he has found a few.

The panning and prospecting, he said, is nothing more than a hobby. Known as “gold panner,” Zammett is one of 78 men and women throughout the Finger Lakes area who are listed on the New York State Gold site. Click on forum for a list of members such as “Geezer,” “Got the Bug,” “Susie Q,” “Ricks Rocks” and “Four Prong.”

Zammett says one of the advantages of the hobby is its low cost. He has about $200 invested in a sluice, pans and other equipment. McElroy's investment is even less.

“About 20 bucks,” he grins.

Tops with him when it comes to searching cracks in the bedrock is a bent screwdriver and a bent curtain rod. Each allows him to reach nooks and crannies that he would otherwise have to pass up. They're vital pieces of equipment, he says.

The men contend that gold in area streams was left behind in what they call glacial deposits and of an amount not likely to make anyone rich. As for gold, it's selling for about $880 an ounce.

For more information on panning, call Zammett at 869-5916. Other information can be had at http://www.goldprospectors.org and http://www.nysgoldsite.com.
What lies behind us and what lies ahead of us are tiny matters compared to what lives within us. ~Henry David Thoreau
Brenda
VIP II
VIP II
Camera Model: Canon PowerShot SX20 IS

Yeah, I read that. :lol: I've known Jack all my life, but I didn't know that he'd become a prospector.
Finger Lakes Mill Creek Cabins
http://www.fingerlakescabins.com
Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

our economy needs a gold rush. Someone forward this to the other side of the country!
VinceClortho
Junior
Junior

Done.
I have a lot of people I'd love to send your way.